Friday 3 March 2023

Free Patterns, Ned's Birthday, Thrifted Fabric, YouTube Channel to Watch And Learn From

This fellow, Our Ned, is two years old! 

He is a quiet dog, rarely barks or makes a sound. His favourite thing in the world is playing ball with Petey and Abby; a close second is taking up most of the bed at night for his long winter naps

LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color's prompt this week is to talk about our dedicated sewing spaces if we have one. I have a bedroom converted to a sewing room and love the way I can close the door on the mess as it were. It is small and oddly proportioned and there isn't room for a cutting table which is a drawback. What I like best about it is the window and its view of a portion of the back yard. That changes with the seasons. Here I am in my room with said window engaging in my least favourite part of the quilting experience...using the machine- in this case  to join those pumpkin blocks. There comes a point in almost every project where I have to use the machine.

I had good luck at the Thrift Store when I went through the men's shirts section there in early February. I was looking for the largest size and they had to be 100% cotton which these four are. I'm always surprised by how much fabric can be retrieved from a shirt. I'll just show you that black print up close. Now you can see that green circle. Neat modern design and I thought this would make a good binding fabric. And it makes me feel good to possibly be saving fabric from the landfill.
I have almost all of one block embroidered for the Snow Days quilt. This is the most enjoyable embroidery one can do. Simple running stitch with no colour changes. 
We are watching Noraly's, Itchy Boots, motorcycle adventures on Youtube. We followed her all the way up North America to Alaska last year.  Now in Season 7 she is in Morocco and the Sahara Desert. Just sand but encountering small groups of people living there. I'm totally captivated as such an environment is so foreign to me. How they manage water and food is fascinating. 
It's funny now that when I first thought of making it a Thursday "feature" to offer three free patterns each week,  I thought I would run out of free pattern sites to share with you. Silly me. There are thousands of quilting sites; no end it would seem to the free patterns they are offering either. Lucky us!

 Thursday's Three Free

From The Fabric Hut Blog comes this pattern called Neon Bow Ties.Adaptable for all sizes including a table cloth.

At The Vintage Sewing Box site, Emma offers a bank of free patterns and tutorials for stitching items using English Paper Piecing like this- Butterflies in different sizes. SO pretty.
I saw this block and thought it neat.  Especially as we all get so good at sewing flying geese.  From Quilting Daily comes the PDF download for this block called the Gosling-Go -Round block. At that site you can see Marcie Patch's pretty lap quilt made with this block. I love this colourful scrappy block.
At Days Filled With Joy you can find the first download for Joy's SAL called Teacup Critters. Embroidery blocks combined with quilt blocks, very cute. 


I'll show how my indoor garden is doing in the next post. It's hanging in there.It was -15C on my morning walk but sunny and pleasant. However, another weather event is imminent. Snowfall warning for overnight into Saturday with high winds. 
But it being March, it won't last too long, fingers crossed. 

23 comments :

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Happy Birthday, Ned! The window in your sewing room looks lovely, Jocelyn - and a wonderful view out there, too. I also enjoy that simple running stitch embroidery - so soothing! The EPP butterfly is so sweet. I haven't tried other shapes besides hexies, but there are so many fun ones that make interesting designs!

Jeanna said...

The view from your sewing machine is very nice. I look forward to having my own sewing space...soon, I hope. Ned looks quite comfy in his chair, such a sweet face, too. You found some great shirtings at the thrift store. It will be fun to see what they become.

Libby in TN said...

Such interesting fabrics from men's shirts. Maybe that's why they were in the thrift store in such good shape! Ned is a handsome dude.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I'm sorry if more snow is coming! happy birthday to Ned he is such a pretty dog his coat looks so healthy.
So you have an odd size sewing room - mine too - long and narrow, I would love to arrange it differently and just can't with hubby's computer stuff on the corner on the opposite end but no where for that to go anyplace else.

Jackie said...

Just like you I am always surprised at how much fabric you can salvage from old shirts and such.

Love the green circles in that recycled fabric.

I have no room in my sewing/craft room for a cutting table either.

God bless.

Pamela Dempsey said...

Happy birthday Ned!!!🎂 you are so handsome 😻

Alison said...

Isn't it lovely to find a new episode of Itchy Boots is available. We leqrnt so much from Season 6 and I admire her considered risk taking. What an amazing woman she is. I hope many more people discover and follow her.

Susie H said...

Lovely post as always. -15 seems pretty cold even with the sunshine but probably perfect for a brisk walk. Bet it put some color in your cheeks! Question for you on Snow Days: Did you really use 3 yards of background fabric? I checked what I had pulled a long time ago and there's 2.5 yds. Apparently I drew out the cutting and it seems to work ok. Asking you since you've already cut out all of your blocks. Another friend of mine has just started and she mentioned that the blocks are cut WAY oversized for trimming later. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

I would imagine that you are anxiously waiting for Spring! This morning I was surprised to see the sun coming up around 6:30. Probably did not realize that the time is a changing due to all the cloudy days we have been having! That darn Daylight Savings Time is just around the corner. Then it will be dark again in the morning…. Thx for the freebies! Hugs Cannot believe that Ned is already 2!!!!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I love the fabrics you found at the Thrift Store. I can't believe Ned is already 2 years old. It seems as though you just got him. Love your Snow Days quilt block. Thanks for the freebies!

Deb A said...

I can't believe Ned is 2 already! He looks so comfy taking his nap. Great view out the window of your sewing room. Some really pretty blocks you have found. I love your embroidery - it looks like such a cozy scene. Have a great weekend.

Karrin Hurd said...

Great stitching! I love your header!

Cloudia said...

Gosh you have real talent! I could never do that. But I do appreciate a good quilt. Google Hawaiian quilts! They are historic and quite different with tropical patterns and may interest you. Some. Nice to see your comment. Have a wonderful week ahead. Oh! Your Ned is adorable

Miaismine said...

Yes! I love how your window is right by your sewing machine! I am finding that I really prefer hand stitching to machine stitching as well. Nice find on your shirts! Your embroider is lovely as is your needle case. I’m going to be looking at The Vintage Sewing Box and Days Filled with Joy sites right after I comment on your lovely blog! Thank you for sharing!

Kim said...

Look at your sweet Ned happily snoozing. Happy Birthday to him! The little pieced butterfly is so sweet. The photo of you in your sewing room , at the sewing machine made me smile. You have a lovely view from the window, Jocelyn.

PaintedThread said...

Ned! You're a big boy! Cool fabric you got from the shirts.

Chantal said...

Happy belated birthday, Ned. He sounds like the perfect dog.
We had snow on Saturday too. Sunday was +8, yep, +8 not a typo! Ridiculous weather but spring is coming. Enjoy! ;^)

The Joyful Quilter said...

Awesome thrift score, Jocelyn, and thanks for those links!

Anonymous said...

Ned looks very comfortable. Finn is currently curled up beside me, keeping my leg warm. Happy birthday, Ned! Nice view out the window of your sewing room. Thanks for finding the free patterns each week. That last block looks interesting…. Gail at the Cozy Quilter

Linda said...

Happy birthday to sweet Ned. I need to have him come and train Boomer. ;) I love the view out your window in your sewing room. The embroidery of that little church is wonderful. I like embroidering with one color too. I used to frequent Goodwill for cotton clothes that I could cut up - you've reminded me I need to do that again. Like I need more fabric - lol - but your reason is what I'll use - saving it from the landfill! Love that black/white with the green.

Kate said...

Ned is a gorgeous Lab. I'm so glad you got him when you did. My Labs are getting so big and love to play ball also. Wish we could get them together! Love all your works in progress and learn to love your sewing machine. Ha! I do all my piecing on machine and a lot of my quilting as I can get so many things completed that way. Stay warm. Spring really is coming.

Vicki in MN said...

Happy Birthday Ned, he looks so content laying there. It is great to have a dedicated sewing room no matter the size! Have a great week!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Ned is two already? Wow - it just seems like yesterday he was a wee puppy.
I like getting fabric at thrifties too. Pretty much all of my crazy quilting stash came from there. So much cheaper than buying from fabric shops.
Your Thursday Three Free is like my quotes and links I share on my blog. I sort of fell into it and now it's become a thing. People seem to enjoy them so it's worth doing. Thanks for yours!