Tuesday 14 March 2023

Knitted Coasters, EPP Projects, To Do This Week. Woody/Wendy of Woodpeckers

 

I may have mentioned before that I knit scrappy wool into table toppers and use them underneath my plant pots. I've learned that wooden tables need protecting from the damp or scrapes that happen (even when sitting on saucers) when used for the plants. Smaller squares knit from prettier wool are good for a coffee coaster too. 

To Do This Week...I'm looking after Daughter's dogs, very lovable Abbey and Petey, this week. She is recovering from an exercise injury which seems like such an unfair thing to happen. Ned is in his glee. 

I woke up this morning with all three dogs cuddled together on the bed with us.  A little more company than I'd like, but it was adorable to see. 

Also this week will be a job to sort out the backing for this one...the Lone Star Medallion which is now finished to this point. Here is the un-pretty back showing all those little pieces (over 200) of cardboard.
I would like to make another of these but next time with eight diamonds as I realize now the true Lone Star does look more remarkable with more points. To that end I found a link to a free ebook PDF HERE by Terri Swallow.

I finally got a photo of the fellow pecking so much alarming damage to one of the trees near the house. I recognized the rectangular shape as being made by a Pileated Woodpecker.

 While getting wood from the veranda one morning, I heard him. The loud heavy knocking sounds were echoing. A few minutes later I was sneaking around the trees trying to get a good photo. His head was in constant motion and below turned out to be the best photo of those I took. And through my camera, I could see this was a female not a male because there is no red cheek stripe. She's been busy in that area and I wonder what she is finding in that poor tree.
I'm pleased to share the first few Pluses I've sewn, a project that came out of the blue and totally turned my head!  I discussed it HERE. May as well sew them in the So Scrappy RSC green. I will try to stick with each monthly colour, but no pressure. BTW, the free pattern from Mollie works quite well. I downloaded the sheet, glued it to cardboard and cut out the individual little beach houses, four of which form the plus or X. A great scrappy project and I have to remind myself not to sew too tightly which is a habit of mine when hand stitching. A definite SQUIRREL project. If I remember I will link up with Sandra's DrEAMit post at the end of the month.
Here is our house in early winter 2021 which reminded me of Robert's poem's last stanza. 
From Winter Time by Robert Louis Stevenson-
                               Black are my steps on silver sod;
                              Thick blows my frosty breath abroad
                              And tree and house, and hill and lake,
                              Are frosted like a wedding-cake.
I was taught with these kind of rhyming poems; they were all I knew of poetry for a long time and I loved them all. This also matched the rhyming hymns I sung in church every Sunday which I also enjoyed. 
 Hope your week is off to a good start. I'm off to throw the ball for three Labradors. How lucky am I!
Note: Please always let me know if a link you are interested in doesn't work for you. I will do my best to get you connected!





32 comments :

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I love the idea of knitted plant coasters. Might have to copy you!
I'm so impressed with the fact that you got the Lone Star 'star' put together. I wonder if you use a hole punch in the center of each of the cardboard pieces - I found that tip when I was doing the hexies. It's easier to then just slip a crochet hook through the hole to loosen the papers and pop them out.
Lucky you to get such a great photo of the pileated. I know we have one that's in the small lot of trees by the river because I can hear it but I haven't been able to see it.

Jeanna said...

You star is amazing! I didn't know the Pileated Woodpecket would make such a big hole in tree. That poor tree, but what is she after? The dogs are so cute...who can resist those sweet faces?

The Cozy Quilter said...

So you had a three dog night—-you needed three dogs to keep you warm!!! Your star is going to make a gorgeous quilt!

Nancy J said...

Take care outside, guess snow is safer than ice. The lone star, a lot of handwork but will be truly lovely when all done. . 3 labs, that will keep you busy

Jenn Jilks said...

I love the star.
And 3 at once. What a handful, no, pawful!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Glad you're enjoying the dogs! Sounds like they have a good time at your house. Your Lone Star Medallion is amazing from the backside! Lots of little seams to press before you can applique it onto the backing. Love the photo of the pileated woodpecker, too - she's working hard! Do you suppose she's making a nest hole?

Robin said...

I can't imagine having 3 labs at my house all at once. You are the right lady for the job because you enjoy it. That must have been quite a pile of dogs to wake up to. I loved the picture of the holes in the evergreen. Is she making space for a nest? That is an awful big hole. The poetry is still wonderful - poetry lasts.

Nana said...

I´ve never seen Woodpeckerholes and thank you very much for sharing. They are huge. Don´t they harm the tree?

Nana

Jackie said...

Oh my, I now have another idea for my scrap yarn.

That female woodpecker picture is fabulous.

God bless.

Brian's Home Blog said...

That topper is so colorful and pretty. WOW Ned, you sure are having some fun. Oh my, those woodpeckers sure are busy.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

you have so many interesting things going on today. I love how pretty the woodpecker is - we have them here to and do they every sound loud - they have gone after several dead pine trees over the years on our property and I can usually hear them from the porch but I rarely get a good photo them. I love the EPP design you are doing - I might need to look for papers for that one - the X design looks really good.

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

I love seeing the back of that star! Thank you for sharing all the photos, esp of the woodpecker. So pretty!

Linda said...

I love that photo of your house, it is beautiful. So glad Ned is "in his glee" - lol! I'm resentful of Boomer sharing our bed (Hub's says "it's OK"), so I can't imagine 3, but they are so cute. Your Lone Star is pretty amazing.

Carol in Texas said...

One of my childhood books that I read again and again was R.L.Stevenson’s ‘A Child’s Garden of Verses”. I can say some of the poems by heart. “In winter I get up at night and dress by yellow candlelight……” and “I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me…..”. I still love them and I love poems that rhyme. I had never seen the verse you included today…..but it is lovely. Your house photo is gorgeous! As well is the photo of the woodpecker! We don’t have that bird here in central Texas, but I’ve seen it in my bird books. What an interesting hole configuration! Is she building a nest? Or just looking for insects?

Lorraine said...

I love those coasters - a good reminder about the plants. Found that out the hard way. Those little pluses are intriguing.

Marsha Cooper said...

Are the crosses sewn together by hand like hexagons?

Miaismine said...

What a pretty coaster and a great idea for wool scraps! That way nothing gets wasted. Wow! What a beautiful Lone Star Medallion! Pretty! Hopefully the pecking bird is finding something interesting. Love your EPP project!

Carol Andrews said...

Thank you Jocelyn for the great reminder of needing to protect our wood tables. I do like your idea of knitted coasters. The pluses look great! Lovely woodpecker even if they are loud and destructive! Hope you are enjoying your 3 dog scrambles. Thank you for linking with To Do Tuesday.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I believe this is the first time I have visited you. I came from Friday Smiles and was very impressed with your coasters. I have real wood and have coasters everywhere. Mine are all either ceramic or metal, though. Yours are beautiful and functional.

Those labs are beautiful. You must be brave to take on all three at once. Guess if you have one, two more can't be that hard to take in.

I don't sew by hand, but I really like that star. To me, even the back is lovely.

There is a woodpecker in my neighborhood and if I have a window open, I can hear him or her. I've never seen one. Just heard the noise they make.

Although I didn't quite understand what you were doing with the Xs, the fabric you chose is lovely. Have a super weekend and nice to "meet" you.

PaintedThread said...

This is all such good stuff. The back of that star! So many seams! It looks terrific. It's amazing the designs that woodpeckers make (and how deep they'll drill into a tree). Those Xs will create an interesting quilt.

mamapez5 said...

That star is a real work of art (and of the heart). Well done!
I love the picture of your snowy house though I am no fan of the snow myself, hence our move to S.Spain.
It is great to have the woodpecker visiting you though they can cause a lot of damage to the trees.
Your pretty little coasters are a great way to use up those left-overs. On holiday last year, I used mine to crochet a dishcloth for my son and he loves it. Kate x

cityquilter grace said...

your star is beautiful...even from the back! and oh such lovely stitchery in the header..

grammajudyb said...

I always enjoy the “peep” into your lovely environment! Knitted coasters are great! I had a friend who knit coasters and dishcloths. I miss her! Great picture of Wendy Woodpecker! That’s a lot of damage though!

Annie said...

Lovely to see you joining in this week. I love your woodpecker...she’s stunning. Lovely knitting and patchwork....what talent.
Hugs,
Annie x

Cloudia said...

Thank you for sharing this loveliness!

Pink Rose said...

Hi what a wonderful blog you have ,you information about the wood pecked was interesting ,we don’t have wood peckers in Australia.
Your lone star will look fantastic gee that’s a lot of pieces,you do such beautiful work,hope you have a lovely day 🌹🤍🌹

Michele McLaughlin said...

Quite a few Wows on this post. Love the pyramids and man, that is a wonderful project, I'm so impressed with it. Your EPP pluses are wonderful too--I love her videos as well, even if I don't EPP. Wishing you a warmer weekend and the advent of spring soon (although it was fun to see Robbie's snowman). Have a wonderful week!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Wht a great idea to knit plant coasters!!!! As spring is starting and my hubby is planting things... I might just copy that!
what fun to have three big dogs!! they will keep you warm haha!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Another great post with those beautiful animal pictures. You did great on the Woodpecker picture! Yup - 3 dogs in bed might be a slight too many Lab Babies! LOL.

You did great on you Lone Star - lots of work in that puppy! The knitted coasters are great to have.

Hugs

Marie said...

Oh my - still trying to figure out how all of you fit into your bed :D! Your star is beautiful; I love looking at the back of EPP pieces, so frilly.

Michelle said...

Those Pileated woodpeckers are so big. I had show up at a bird feeder. I can believe they would do that much damage to a tree. Thanks for linking up.

Kate said...

We have pileated and Downie woodpeckers in my suburban neighbourhood. They are a sure sign that the tree has a problem. They are lovely to see.