Thursday 28 November 2013

Mindfully Thankful and Cranberry Sauce Recipe

What was on my bedside table this week....
Just finished this novel and it is the first I have read by this author, Kristina Ohlsson. It is a mystery and set in Sweden and is an excellent 'read', especially if you like the new Nordic 'Noir' genre that seems to be very popular these days.  In this particular novel, apparently the first in a series, it is the wonderful portrayal of various characters that do the job of pulling you in, so to speak.  I will be seeking out Kristina's future work that's for sure.
Meanwhile, I must say a big Happy Thanksgiving to my American friends.  I have enjoyed so many wonderful American movies, both funny and touching, revolving around the  thanksgiving tradition of family and friends coming together to celebrate over good food and fun.  We have our Thanksgiving in October and turkey dinners are the usual fare, too.  I am including my recipe for cranberry sauce as I do like it better than the tinned version.  It always reminds me of that very funny Thanksgiving episode of Mad About You where the father-in-law is disappointed that the cranberry sauce is not from a can-he says he likes the sound the hunk of sauce makes when it comes out of the can in one lump. Thunk!!
 
Here is the one I use, but you do not have to use port, substitute more juice and water instead.
half a cup of port (I use Taylor Fladgate), a third a cup of orange juice, 12 ounces of fresh cranberries, half to three quarters cup sugar (I use Truvia), orange zest.  Combine port and orange juice and bring to a boil, add cranberries, zest and sugar; simmer till the cranberries pop and it all softens into a jammy kind of mixture, about 15 to 20 minutes.  This keeps very well in the fridge and is delicious with all sorts of dinners. 
Our storm is past; today is one of those picture postcard days...brilliant sunshine and blue sky highlighting all the pure white snow now covering everything.  Just gorgeous.  Feeling thankful and I hope there are things to be thankful for in your life too. 
 


No comments :