Wednesday 27 November 2013

Snow, Sewing and Simmering Oatmeal

What is in my hoop this week.
This is a closeup of a Christmas tree decoration I am making for my grandson.  It is a mitten shape and I am embroidering several small pictures in it...a boy rolling a snowball, a snowman, the deer, a pair of mittens in the corner with his initials, and some holly.  The other side has a large primitive style tree with a sign reading "Feed the Birds."  I coloured it with coloured pencils and I will use backstitch for most of the outlining.

 We woke to our world completely winter white...it seems suddenly.  We usually get our snow in slow increments a cm or two at a time.  However we got 20 cm overnight with a forecast for 15 - 20 more today.  I just took this photo from the front door and the best thing I can say is it sure looks Christmasy. 
It was the kind of morning that called for oatmeal for breakfast.  I make my own version using large flake oats.  Here is my recipe...1 cup oats, 2 cups water, a pinch of salt, half tsp. sugar, a handful raisins or craisins, a handful almonds.  Sometimes I cut up an apple and include it too so it is a posher kind of oatmeal.  Of course, you don't have to add any of this if you like your oatmeal plainer.  I usually simmer it for 10-15 minutes ( as long as it takes Hubby to walk with the dogs down the lane to get the paper), stirring often and serve it with a little milk and brown sugar. 
Hope you have lots to smile about in your day today.

No comments :