Monday 13 July 2015

A Laugh Like A Seal's Bark

Can I just use L instead of LOL?  I mean I may want to laugh but not out loud.  Really I don't laugh out loud all that often.
 I know someone who claims she can't laugh out loud and has had a lifetime of having to smile extra broadly when she wants to show she's finding something really funny. I guess you could say she smiles out loud. LOL  Hubby has a sort of goosy sound when he laughs out loud, something between a snort and a honk I guess you could call it.  When I first met him I would check him because I thought he was choking or something.




 Maybe my not laughing out loud has something to do with the fact that once in high school a boy told me I sounded like a seal when I laughed out loud.  Don't be sorry for me, that's about the meanest thing that was said to me in high school.
 Or maybe like the Queen, I am just not that amused.
Remember Daisy in Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby; her laugh was like the sound of money. Now
that's the laugh I would like to have rather than being saddled with this supposedly sealish bark.

But all that being said there are a couple of shows on t.v. where I find myself laughing out loud.  We are watching 8 out of 10 Cats, a British panel show with comedians discussing topics of the day.  Funny.  I laugh out loud at John Oliver sometimes.  Outnumbered made me laugh out loud too. We are watching reruns of 3rd Rock From the Sun and I'm finding it funnier than first time round and their crazy antics are definitely LOL-worthy.

Laughter is good.  How good?  All the way back, the Bible recorded in Proverbs  A joyful heart is good medicine. And Readers Digest said it for years "Laughter is the best medicine."  If you can muster up amusement in tough times, kudos to you; I'm sure you are better off for it.
Spectickles

And the earth laughs in flowers as Ralph Waldo Emerson said.


 And if you'd seen this beautiful field last summer, you would know the earth was definitely LOL.

No comments :