Wednesday 15 July 2015

Keepsake Needlearts: More to Love

I'd been reading several blogs I follow and one of Janet Grainger's "carry with her" pieces caught my eye.  When I checked my latest Keepsake Needlearts catalogue I realized why.  I had circled the same project in the catalogue.  It is the Autumn Quakers cross stitch design from Rosewood Manor featuring Karen Kluba's chart and instructions.




I just love the colours used in this; the floss is Valdani hand- overdyed 3-ply and this photo is really not doing their vibrancy justice. There is something about autumn, its' colours and sentiment that always appeal to me.

   Keepsake Needlearts also provide the accompanying Winter, Spring and Summer Quaker kits  by the same designer.  Their website is HERE  if you wish to check out these beautiful samplers to cross stitch as well as look at all the other lovely needle work items they offer.


 PRACTICAL NEEDLEWORK BOOK COLLECTION


I want to show you something else before I forget that I viewed online in their Spring catalogue.  I've talked about this set of books before in this blog.  It is the 1915 publication of a series of books called Weldon's Practical Needlework on all the needle crafts. Each volume includes a history of each art, clear illustrations and patterns for projects to complete.  The reviews are glowing and it does seem like a wonderful addition to any needleworker's library. I've not seen them altogether as a boxed set before. You would maybe think the designs would be hopelessly outdated, but there is something timeless about these.  And I guess the vintage look is always popular and has its place in the needle arts world.
  The price is a bit daunting but maybe as my 'birthday and Christmas together' gift.

Meanwhile the garden is benefiting from the heat and welcome downpours in late evening.  I think these hostas are in the best condition I've seen since I planted them around the front birch tree several years back.  They are all taken from Daughter's garden where the hostas have flourished and multiplied.  Love it when plants do that!



And here below is my lonely lupin; I call it lonely because it would be so unusual to see a single plant like this in the wild.  I am happy I captured it at this stage because all that budding bloom shriveled up and never did burst into flower.  Don't know why. Also a little odd, the colour on the packet was purple and these appear to be pale yellow or white.  We did have a few days of extreme heat and humidity but I've read lupins like sun and the plant was very healthy as you can see.  Anyway, I have left them to droop and hopefully drop seed for future plants.  Gardeners even amateur ones have to practice patience, I'm learning.




You can see the strata of rock in this photo that runs here and there through the portion of land the house is on.  Pure Canadian Shield is what you are looking at.

No comments :