Tuesday 24 September 2019

Hand Quilting, Gardening, Free Patterns

I've been reluctant to spend time in the sewing room for a very good reason...the weather has been so beautiful.  Saturday I actually spent most of the afternoon on the veranda. Glorious is all I can say.
It is slightly past the fall equinox so autumn is official but the temperatures were belying that fact...up until today that is. Cooler today but still pleasant.

 I added more hand stitching to the appliqued flower table runner. I'd forgotten what enjoyable stitching this is.  The Sulky variagated thread is wonderful to sew with. My goal will be to have this all quilted by next Tuesday.



I'm also pleased to say I have the quarter circle pattern worked out for the Dresdens. Thanks to all of you who offered advice.  I think it was SusanQuilt Fabrication ) who said she would keep them smaller and I went with that idea.  My Karen Kay Buckley circles arrived so I used one of them to trace a perfect circle. I used Wendy's Wendy's Pieceful Thoughts) idea to use paper folded in fourths.  Made a cardboard template and way to go. At least now each will more or less be the same and with it being smaller, more of the pretty colours are showing. Perhaps 10 or 12 of these will be finished for this week's goal.

 Still must make a decision about working on a fall/Halloween project this year.  To that end I've been visiting sites and also remembered to have a look through the magazines on hand. I sometimes feel a tinge of guilt for buying them and not making at least one project from each.  Do you feel like that?
Seeing Jinny and Jo featured probably was why I bought that top one!
Live Art Gallery Fabrics has a fabulous bank of free quilt patterns. Traditional with a modern flair is how I describe them.  Have a peek if looking for a fall project is on your to do list too.

I got to collect more seeds from a variety of plants, the dianthus, globe thistle, coneflowers and yucca. Still more to get as they ripen for the picking. Have to package, label and store these in the cold room.

                                       See the source image

And from those rather noble words to this:- the fact that I have an aging cauliflower in the fridge that I must use up.  Soup maybe.
Happy Tuesday all.
Linking with Home Sewn By Us today. Also happily joining Clever ChameleonQuilting is More Fun Than HouseworkEm's ScrapbagLove Laugh Quilt, and Sum of Their Stories.













12 comments :

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I don't buy magazines now that they've gotten so expensive and often there is only one project that might prove interesting. Used to get them from the library (at least the women's magazines...they don't have crafting ones) but now they're going digital so that avenue is blocked. Your flowers are looking great!

Linda said...

What a beautiful table runner that will be!
I can't wait to sit outside and enjoy fall weather. It is still getting into the low 90s during the day and mid 70s at night - ugh.
I feel the same guilt about magazines. Years ago I subscribed to one or two a year - you can imagine the buildup. Each time we moved, I purged them, and now I only have my favorites on hand (still a formidable stack). I actually kept one from 2004 with a redwork quilt I still want to make!
What is a "cold room"?

Roseanne said...

Hi Jocelyn! Thanks so much for linking up today. Your hand sewing project is just lovely - makes me want to get out and start an appliqué project right now. Your seed collecting inspire me as well - what is the cold room? Do you have to chill them until you plant them? I guess I should Google rather than bother you. ~smile~ Roseanne

Jenn Jilks said...

It's a wonderful time of year! Great work.

Brian's Home Blog said...

Your stitchings are always so darn nice and I'm glad you're enjoying the terrific weather!

Libby in TN said...

You crack me up -- aging cauliflower! I can SO relate. Your blanket stitch, BTW, is exquisite.

Angie said...

Jocelyn - I can relate to your comments about spending time outside. I have a million and one indoor projects that are calling my name, but I can't bring myself to do it when I know that soon enough it will be too cold to be out weeding (and I won't need to)! There is snow in the forecast this weekend! Love your applique work!

MissPat said...

I'm feeling the pressure to be outdoors as much as possible before the dreaded cold arrives. We're on a temperature roller coaster right now. 60's one, 80's the next. Have to start bringing in the tender plants.
Pat

Tineke said...

Thank you for your comment on my blog. I just look around on yours, and I love it. Your tablerunner looks so beautiful. I have addes you to my favorite blogs.
Love Tineke

Bonnie said...

Hope is spreading that summer will end but it’s hard to believe when temps are I. The 90s. Your table runner looks great. I don’t think I would have thought to use variegated thread. Thanks for the idea.

Quilts by the Bay-North Bay said...

On your magazine photo .... it is the second magazine that caught my eye. That quilt on the cover has been on my 'to do' list since that magazine was published. I've been collecting plaids for years and perhaps now is the time to finally do up that pattern?!

Dione Gardner-Stephen said...

Love your appliqués.... aged cauliflower soup - I'm sure it is more delicious than it sounds! :) lol, I quite like cauliflower soup.