Tuesday 3 September 2019

Bev's Free PDF Pattern, Quilt of a Thousand Seams and MOM PIE

I was so pleased to eventually see lots of bees, dragonflies, butterflies and grasshoppers around the garden this summer.
I have this special pair of pants that I get a kick out of wearing while gardening.  Featuring embroidered daisies and flying bees here and there, they are very comfortable with a little elastic in the waist.  I found them at a thrift shop years ago and knew they belonged to whimsical me.
I used the pick axe and shovel this week...I'm terrible with the pick axe; never could use it well. But managed to dig two holes and replant two bushes.
I also cleaned and tidied the gardening side of the garage. Always find things I'd forgotten about.  Also sadly found a mouse carcass trapped in a glass bottle. (Might account for some of the odd smells out there.)

Starting a new scrappy project and enjoying it very much.  I love dresdens as anyone reading will know. I always comment on your dresdens when you show them.  This is a partial...quarter dresden to be exact and my inspiration was from Bev McCullough at this post on her Flamingo Toes site. That link will bring you to generous Bev's free pdf pattern too.  Sharing like this is so appreciated!
                            Gingham Girls Dresden Mini Quilt
Mine will be much scrappier than Bev's. I'm machine stitching the blades but will hand stitch the unit to the block. I've already enjoyed working on this project. Lots of scrappy fun!
My photograph blocks are a flimsy! I think I'll rename it after working up close with the blocks as a whole...the quilt of a thousand seams.  Boy, there are a lot of joins in this thing. But that will happen when using up small scraps.  It's one of those pieces that really looks much nicer in person. Don't know why it doesn't photograph well and it is much larger than I had first thought. But with no plan other than just sewing that will happen.

To Do this week
Harvest those seeds while I can...Temperatures taking a decided turn downward.
Get several blocks of the quarter dresdens sewn.
Make some purple flag blocks and remember (!) to link up with the RSC.
Set up the humane mouse trap we have in the garage...may be able to keep mice out of the cars this winter.
Use up these peaches.
 Diann in this post at Little Penguin Quilts had her mom visit and make fresh peach pie and we all know there is nothing like MOM PIE.  It gave me the urge for peach something which coincided with Ontario peaches ripening.  We'll see.
A cool beginning to the day here, 13 C, but sunny so a great morning for garden work.
Happy to link with Home Sewn By UsEsther's Design BlogNeedle and Thread Network and Love Laugh Quilt.


















16 comments :

OFFER said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

I cannot believe you are already cooling off! I am so envious. We are going to be 110 today. A pick ax? About 10 years ago I tore my rotator cuff digging by hand in a garden as if I was using a pick ax but it was a hand shovel. . Please be careful. That 1/4 Dresden is adorable-can't wait to see yours. Those peaches look so good. Enjoy!

Celine said...

Love your quilt of thousands seams

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

and here we are having a late summer heat spell hitting 90 every day this week while we are trying to get the camper ready to take off at the end of the week for the cooler weather in the western mountains - I am so looking forward to jeans and sweatshirt weather!! it will be such a nice change from this heat/humidity!

Roseanne said...

Hi Jocelyn! Ooh, those peaches look yummy. I was jealous of Diann both for her peach pie but even more of the time she got to spend with her mom. I know they both enjoyed it very much. Your thousand seams quilt look just beautiful to me, and imagine that it is almost free. Plus, when you look at all the different squares from many different projects, they will make you smile remembering them. Thank you for linking up today! ~smile~ Roseanne

Brian's Home Blog said...

We could use sure use come cooler temps here. Those embroidered jeans are very cool!

Nancy J said...

Peaches, we will have to wait till next February or so. Poor wee mouse, and a humane trap, I know others who use them, then release the mouse a long way from their home.

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

I was using a pick axe the other day. I bit the bullet and went and bought a maddox. The jeans are cute. Your flower pics reminded me I need to go and pick some cone flowers to dry so I can harvest the seeds.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your Dresden project is going to be so fun, Jocelyn! I love the photograph flimsy, too - I clicked on it so it would enlarge and enjoyed looking at it in a close-up. I'm still enjoying a peach every day, and need to go get some more tomorrow. Enjoy making something tasty with your peaches!

Nancy said...

Oh my gosh, I LOVE your photograph quilt! It is just the kind of scrappiness I love to see in a quilt -- not overpowered with a zillion colors and fabrics but with brights and neutrals so beautifully arranged.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Like the Dresden's also and those peaches look yummy!

Rebecca Grace said...

Dresdens are one of my favorite quilt patterns, too! I like the subtleties of your Thousand Seams quilt and I’ll bet it shows up better in close up photos with natural lighting. How do you plan to quilt it?

Judy S. said...

Love that Dresden quilt! One of the things we enjoy in the dead of winter is peach slices frozen in orange juice (the juice keeps the peaches' color pretty). Defrosted, it's one of our traditions for Christmas day breakfast. Of course we love peach pie, peach cobbler, and peach freezer jam, too!

Nana said...

I love what you show and I love peaches alot.

Nana

Sharon - IN said...

You are a busy bee! Yum peaches!

Jeanne said...

Yum, I can just imagine how sweet and good those peaches smell!