Thursday 26 September 2019

Painted Ladies, Real and Wooly, The Affair, Dogs Riding Subways


An abandoned nest...from its looseness, I'm guessing a mourning dove's. Interesting to see what gets revealed with even a few leaves falling.
Mourning Dove and Rose Breasted Grosbeak at the old farm, 2015
I had a larger number than usual of painted lady butterflies show up in the garden this year. They particularly enjoyed the Golden Broadleaf flowers. They are a still kind of butterfly so easy to capture good shots. Coincidentally they are calling 2019 The Year of the Painted Lady Butterfly in parts of Europe because they have been recording high numbers. Some badly needed good news!
 Some of you may remember I stitched a wool project a few years back by that name.  Still waiting for quilting.
And the stitched flowers are very much like the Golden Broadleaf flowers too.
 Hubby and I have been thoroughly enjoying this series, The Affair; we think it's gotten better as it's gone along. Any of you catch it?  We are watching it on HBO/Crave, I can't remember which. Good acting and what a plot!
                                             The Affair 2014 Poster.jpg
I liked this video of how New Yorkers are getting around the rule of no dogs on the subway unless they can fit in a bag.  New and hilarious use for an Ikea bag!
 

In between stitching
Making these little 4 square blocks when I have 15 minutes or so.  They're not perfect because I'm using up scraps of many different sizes... I can't give up on some of the better fabrics no matter how tiny. In my head, I'm imagining these as a border for the basket blocks. They look like autumn to me so seasonal stitching as it happens.
I like when I find a little hand stitched floral item at the thrift store. Here is one stitched by L in 1988. Very nice stitching and how nice that she "signed" it. An Aunt Martha iron on design maybe. (hints of blue markings can be seen under the threads)

Up close you can see how she filled in the open ribbon area, which is tricky to do, with long and short stitches. Interesting. L's work has now found a home with me.
Happy Thursday from these two!  Muggy weather always makes them pant and I don't think either has ever ridden a subway.
Downpours of rain as I finish this post. First real rain in ages.
Linking this post with Not Afraid of ColorPaying Ready AttentionInquiring QuilterThe Needle and Thread NetworkIt's A Small Town LifeFloral Passions,  Brian's Home Blog, Floral Friday Foto and My Quilt Infatuation.

29 comments :

Shannon said...

My Blue would be thrilled to ride the subway I think- being filled with his favorite thing (people). I do not think he would be thrilled to go in a bag! And that embroidery is really pretty. I have several old bits and bobs of embroidery or crochet lace. I'm always thinking I'll do something with them, but never seem to get a round to it!

Brian's Home Blog said...

Those pups look a big hot! We're having an early drought here, no rain in sight either. We love those painted ladies too! Thanks for joining the Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

We finally got rain and have cooled off! It's relative. heehee. That butterfly photo is stunning. I think those fall scrap blocks would be perfect with your baskets.

Michelle said...

I like seeing those people getting around the subway rules. Cute to see big dogs in bag. Thanks for linking up today.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, love the sweet pups! Your stitches, butterfly and embroidery is beautiful. I love the pretty Rose-breasted Grosbeak! Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy weekend ahead!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The dogs in the bags is pretty clever! Love the quilt in colors of Fall and the pretty hand stitched piece. I love anything handmade!

Jenny said...

I can understand carrying small dogs in bags, but some of those large ones must be so heavy to carry!
Always plenty of interest in your blog posts, love the butterflies, your thrift shop find, and your own dogs of course.

Lynn said...

Always enjoy the nature aspects of your blog, the sewing and this time the subway bags made me laugh. Thanks

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I guess rules are made to be broken - not so sure the dogs are huge fans of being in a bag though! Beautiful butterfly and bird photos - thank you!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Jocelyn! Oh that last photo of the boys is priceless. Muggy weather makes me pant, too. It's hard to catch my breath in that weather. I'm so glad you gave "L's" handwork a good home. And that video of dogs on the subway is just a hoot! Thanks for sharing it. ~smile~ Roseanne

PaintedThread said...

Huzzah for stitching. What good dogs to stay in those bags! and the owners lugging them around! The painted ladies are so pretty - especially your UFO.

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Yay for butterflies. I see an occasional monarch still. Lots of little yellow ones though called Sulphur butterflies? Great pic of the boys. I am so with you about throwing away fabric. Paper piecing is so hard because you have so much waste!

MissPat said...

I have seen the same little butterfly on my zinnias and dahlias for about a month now. Wasn't sure what kind it was. Have also seen some Monarchs this summer, but no caterpillars on my milkweed. Lots of geese flying overhead this week.
Pat

Linda said...

The little glimpse of your years-ago wool project looks beautiful!
I used to frequent consignment and thrift stores and loved finding little treasures like "L's". Once I found a "Home Is Where The Heart Is" embroidered on linen and carefully picked out the word "Heart" and stitched in "Quilt". It hangs on my sewing room wall.
Enjoyed the photo of your sweet boys!

Jenn Jilks said...

That's rather funny, dogs in bags.
We can't get crave or anything like it. Not enough bandwidth!
The butterfly quilt is amazing!

Scrapatches said...

I so enjoyed this post, especially the video of the New Yorkers who are bagging up their dogs and beating the rule that would separate them from their canine buddies. Song will be playing in my head all day and I will smile. Beautiful photos and quilt ... :-) Pat

Karen in Breezy Point said...

I've never seen so many painted ladies as I have this year--they are all over my sedum and asters. I've been watching The Affair since the first season--I hope Helen ends up with a happy ending now that we are in the series final episodes. I think if I was able to get my dog into a bag, she would battle her way out immediately--lol!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

We had a bunch of Painted Ladies in Northern Colorado a year ago - looks like they've gone north and east this year! Aren't they pretty! I do remember your Painted Lady stitching, too - are you getting it out to work in again? Those four patches are sweet and simple. I'm craving some fall - themed sewing to do like that!

piecefulwendy said...

Yay for the rain in your area! I'm not sure I'd want to carry a big dog in a bag on a subway. Haha! Pretty flowers and a pretty quilt waiting its turn!

riitta k said...

Your stitched butterfly for quilting is amazing! I like very much your banner's pumpkin, too. Lovely photos on your post, thank you so much for linking.

Michele McLaughlin said...

Hi Jocelyn! It's so nice to see that some animals are adapting and I love your butterfly wool piece! That image on the subway is classic NY :D Glad you are getting some rain, we are still awaiting our turn. Have a great week! Hugs!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

The Painted Lady are just so pretty! I'm not sure if I saw any in my area this year. I love the embroidery work. I just love using up my scraps. I try to use everything too!

Jeanne said...

We had flocks of Painted Ladies here this summer also

Linda P said...

Love you butterfly and flower project. It's pleasing to find pretty embroidered items in the thrift shop and appreciate the work that went into the sewing. You must be happy to see the Painted Ladies. Glad you've had some much needed rain.

Kate said...

Love your butterflies and flower projects. Two of my very most favorite subjects. Hopefully you are starting to see a bit of autumn. Not happening here yet.

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Hurrah for rain! We had our first rain 2 weeks ago. Very brief but a sweet shower, enough to skip watering that week. I like your quilt, lots of color and joy going on in it. :-)

Susan said...

What fun quilting, and that dog video! I had to send it to my son who lived in NYC around the turn of the century.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Love the flowers and the butterflies! So pretty. Thanks for sharing your scrappy squares and the thrift store embroidery on Wednesday Wait Loss.

Nancy said...

Love that bird nest. I used to have a small collection of nests but they eventually disintegrate. I think we have 3 or 4 at the moment. I think it's the "fiber arts" aspect of them that makes me love them.

Your little 4-square blocks look good. I like the colors a lot. They will make great sashing or borders on blocks.

Poor your dogs in the heat and humidity. I'm looking forward to cooler temperatures -- if they ever get here! Locally we broke two records over the past two or three days, one from 1955 and one from 1919. I'm ready for fall!