Tuesday 10 September 2019

Ella Maria Deacon Blocks, Scrappy Dresdens, What Yellow Eyed Bird is This?

This week will be quieter in the garden as rain is in the forecast.
Early evening light gave the Purple Globe Thistle a different look.
So a little more free time to take care of other things hopefully.  Here are some of my TO DO thoughts for this week.
I've bought a new Acer 17 inch laptop to work on and have many photos on my old one. Have to figure out how to coordinate the two but need to cull and group the old ones. A time consuming job whose time has come but will be one of those chores for odd moments.

Sort summer clothes now.  Yes single digits overnight, 3C, are enough of a signal it's time to change wardrobes...a word that makes my clothes sound a whole lot grander than they really are.
 Oh not the true woolies and down just yet, but the breezier stuff is definitely done.

Make decisions about joining stitch alongs!
Gay in  this post at Sentimental Stitches announced she is hosting a QAL starting September 15 featuring a very beautiful quilt some of you who follow Barbara Brackman may have already seen. It is the Ella Maria Deacon quilt and has 85 blocks featuring patchwork and applique.  Beautiful blocks with such pretty colour combinations.
                                

I am tempted to join in for the applique blocks so I've made note of it. Many of you wonderful piecers would enjoy this project. More about other projects later.

Get the second part of this pattern worked out.  I've appliqued about 17 sets of the scrappy Dresden blades so far and am ready to get the blocks finished. I thought it would give the piece a little modern look by using some of these low volume backgrounds (what I'm using for the flag blocks actually) but I think I can use more neutrals too.
 I settled on black for the quarter circle but have very little on hand.  Need to go fabric shopping this week...what a chore that will be, LOL.

Keep trying out different aspects of my new camera. And about that, I took this photo down by the pond of what I thought to be one of the ravens.  Playing around with it and turned it upside down. The yellow eye is very distinct and makes me suddenly wonder is it really a raven. Adult ravens have black eyes and this guy also looked a little rounded.  Any thoughts?
Perhaps a blackbird of some kind.
Also I started the schedule of getting the little grandson off the afternoon bus twice a week.  The first day, Hubby and I wondered did we need to set an alarm to make sure we remembered to run over to their house which is about 8 minutes away. Yeah, old people!
                                        
So as always I have no end of things to do. No idle hands here!
Happily linking with Home Sewn By UsPaying Ready AttentionEsther's Design BlogQuilt Fabrication and Clever Chameleon.

18 comments :

Rebecca Grace said...

Your Dresdens are lovely -- happy fabric shopping! I've been trying to stay away from fabric shops because I signed up for a workshop with Kaffe Fassett himself (?!!!) at our LQS in October and it's all about picking fabrics and I just know from the class description that it's going to be like the Mary Kay party of fabric shopping with Mary Kay herself there egging you on to spend more money... "Kaffe will assist you in selecting coordinating fabrics, all at a special discount during the workshop." What was I even thinking... I know what I was thinking. I get to meet KAFFE FASSETT!! LOL.

Brian's Home Blog said...

Love your quilts and that bird photo is super cool!

Libby in TN said...

Young Rusty Blackbirds have yellow eyes.

Linda said...

That thistle is breathtaking, and I love the black bird photo. I'm envious of your cool weather - quite the difference between your area and south Texas. My husband and I would definitely have to set an alarm as a reminder to do something twice a week! You are wise to give thought to QALs. This past year I jumped feet first into too many and got burnt out. Now I'll choose more carefully.

Roseanne said...

Hi Jocelyn! Did you find a picture solution? An easy one is a flash drive. You can pick them up anywhere and they work across platforms with no moving parts to breakdown. Just drag and drop usually works to get them on the FD as well as taking them off of it. Changing laptops is a tedious job at best - I don't envy you at all. That bird photo is just fabulous! As is the one of your grade 1'er grandson. Love that - and picking him up will soon become a habit you'll never forget. ~smile~ Roseanne

Snickelfritz said...

I laughed at your setting a clock to remember to pick up your grandson. I write myself notes all the time and still forget a lot. Loving all your handiwork. You sure get a lot done and I'm loving the Dresden blades. One of my favorite patterns, but do you know, I've never made a whole quilt from it.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your thistle photo is lovely, Jocelyn! You're doing amazing things with your camera these days - I love the bird photo, too. Good luck figuring out your new laptop and how to transfer your pictures. That is not a strength of mine at all. I love those Dresden blocks - that's going to be beautiful! Sounds fun to spend some time with your grandson those afternoons - I might be like you, though, and need to set the alarm to remember!

Karen in Breezy Point said...

I totally get setting an alarm for your pickup schedule--I have an alert on my phone to give my dog her allergy pill (and mine as well--LOL). The Ella Maria Deacon quilt is so gorgeous. I downloaded the supply list, but I am having second thoughts about joining in. I think I would prefer to work on a couple other projects that have been on my bucket list--especially the ones that I've already purchased the fabrics to make them! Love your little Dresdens!

Julierose said...

Just lovely dresden blocks...I especially like the backgrounds you've chosen...
hugs, Julierose

Angie said...

Jocelyn - that purple globe thistle is gorgeous. Our weather is getting cool quickly, and our aspens are already showing a hint of yellow. Autumn is here and it always brings with it a mood for crafts, especially holiday crafts. Enjoy the rest of your week!

Nana said...

Being now in school shows everybody how time flies and how old one is. It seems like yesterday, when my kids were born and now they are almost 15 and 17.

Nana

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Your bird is a Common Grackle.

LA Paylor said...

I love your posts and feel like we've just had a visit at your house. Your grandson and his poster are just the cutest. Fall is settling in here too altho it's more of hot tomorrow. Hot til it snows. When do I wear my pretty fall weight clothes? It's about the clothes right? lol. It's a decision about starting a QAL but you could always stop midway if it doesn't thrill you.Love the dresden blocks on B&W but you're right, a few pastel batiks or hand dyes would merge right in. Thanks for always making me feel at home. LeeAnna

Susan said...

Pretty Dresden's - can't wait to see the finish!

Stewart M said...

Hi there - I was going to suggest David G as a source of information on the mystery bird, but he beat me too it! Nice picture.

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

Jenn Jilks said...

It's not a raven. They have kind of a goiter neck! I'd say a grackle.
Good for you for a whole new schedule. Good luck!

Jenn Jilks said...

Or maybe starling?

Dione Gardner-Stephen said...

I have to pick up my kids every school day and still set an alarm.... time flies when you are having fun and it's easier than watching the clock. Lovely pictures, and great progress on the dresdens. Thanks for joining Colour & Inspiration Tuesday.