Sunday 22 September 2019

Sensational September, Stitching, SAL, Squirrels

The little red squirrels are running all over the place, frantically it seems, gathering stores for the winter. There's no doubt their internal seasonal clock is working.  And they are completely unafraid of me as out on the deck, one ran across my feet!
I couldn't get over how like my photo this cross stitch design below is. I guess British red squirrels must be very similar to Canadian ones.  It's a kit from Bothy Threads, part of their Wildlife series. This is a link to more information about Bothy Threads.  It would be an appropriate piece to have here at the wooden house.
Buy Derwent Wildlife Squirrel Cross Stitch Kit Online at johnlewis.com
But a piece that is on the wall here at the wooden house, September's redworked stitched block of A Patchwork Year designed by Kathy Schmitz.
My brief online shopping this week brought this Welcome Fall pattern by Kathy straight to my inbox.  Just love these stitching patterns that can avoid the international shipping costs. I love acorns!
                     Welcome Fall PDF download
A wonderful season to be working in wool and what lovely wool to crochet, the Debbie Bliss Andes, which is an alpaca blend. These are miniature granny squares and at this rate I figure I'll need a gazillion to make a scarf. Perhaps Sophie Digard's prices are worth it! Check out Sophie's scarves here.
So enjoying my "new" cross stitching project, Swirling Flowers by Karen Kluba for Rosewood Manor. The 32 count antique linen is working fine for me with my new readers. So far, so good!
Our monthly SAL linkup is today. Thanks to Avis at Sewing Beside the Sea for hosting this group of international stitchers.
AvisClaireGunCaroleSueConstanzeChristinaKathyMargaretCindyHelenLindaHeidiJackieSunnyHayleyMeganDeborah, Clare, Mary MargaretReneeJennyCarmelaJocelynSharonSusanAnne
There is a certain stillness in the flower beds, nothing new opening, it is all shutting down I guess. Even the bees are slowing down. Browns and duns and grays slowly taking over. But no sadness here, just glad to be here to enjoy another season spinning round. 
And with that, a last look at my single patch of planted autumn asters, one of the Gaillardias, caught by the September sun.

They went out in a blaze of glory!
Sunday linking with Kathy's Quilts where Kathy has announced her first stitching retreat outside Guelph! Also linking with Nina at Creations- Quilts, Art, Whatever where she shares 25 ways to find inspiration, with Viewing Nature With Eileen where Eileen shares amazing bird photos from coastal Iceland and Floral Friday Foto where I learned the lilac tree is a species of olive tree. Happy as well to link with Life in Pieces where Kate is maintaining her goal of 15 minutes a day of stitching.



36 comments :

Libby in TN said...

That squirrel piece is so realistic; I'd be tempted to try it, too! Lovely photos. We have had NO rain for over a month and we were gone so much of that time that our landscape is suffering.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I have never seen Asters that color. We have a tall bush, and last year I bought too plants that grow about 18" high. Both are purple, but different shades. I have determined that I'll split the short ones and look for new ones in the spring of different colors. The bees and butterflies love them. Those danged little squirrels drive my dogs nuts. I don't mind them, but my dogs double team them. The current score is dogs 4, squirrels 0
xx, Carol

Michele McLaughlin said...

I love your squirelly post! We only have grey squirrels here and the red are so pretty. Ours are going nuts too and driving Scout crazy when we go on walks! I'm posting a photo of a squirrel quilt block later this week (probably I Like Thursdays) that I saw at an antique mall. That Welcome Fall piece is my favorite. How big is it?

Anonymous said...

I do love red squirrels ^^ We have lots here and they're forever teasing the cats!
claire93

eileeninmd said...

Hello, love the cute red squirrel. Your needlework pieces are pretty. I love the Welcome Fall. the last flower photo is lovely. Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy new week ahead!

Brian's Home Blog said...

Love the squirrel, you're stitching is so cool too!!!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Oh what cute squirrels and acorns perfect for the season!

Linda said...

I always learn something new when I read your posts, and I really enjoy reading tidbits from your rich and varied life. Will you go to the stitching retreat, or is that too far away from you? Those granny squares really are tiny. They will make a glorious scarf!

Karrin Hurd said...

Love your stitcheries, and love doing Kathy's. I especially love that Welcome Fall!

Meloney said...

What a fun squirrel. You do such a variety of work. Beautiful.

MissPat said...

Lots of hand stitchery going on at your place. I need to get to the eye doctor for new glasses so I can get back to handwork. With black walnut tress on two adjacent properties, we don't lack for squirrels, both gray and red, or walnuts for that matter. While cute, the red squirrels can be very destructive as can our resident chipmunks. Ah the joys of local wildlife.
Pat

Powell River Books said...

We don't have any red squirrels. At the cabin they are gray. Here in Bellingham they are black, such an unusual sight to see scampering around the hospital lawns. My grandmother was great at handwork including cross stitch and needlepoint. - Margy

Sewing Beside the Sea said...

Your new cross stitch is ideal for your SAL project with all the small motifs :-)

Magpie Sue said...

That red squirrel at the top of your post is a handsome fella indeed. So glad your new readers are making it easier for you to do your stitching. The swirling flowers look like a good project to pick up and put down at will. :-)

Nancy J said...

Your scarf will be worth a fortune too, and extra special as you have made it yourself. Love the "Welcome" that is so beautiful.

Sarah said...

That red squirrel is gorgeous (great photo by the way) and the cross stitch will be lovely to do. Your swirling flowers project is looking lovely, but I would struggle doing such fine work!

Jenny said...

What a great photo of the pretty red squirrel, well done! Love your new Fall project too.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Beautiful photo of the squirrel - another card-worthy one! Glad that your new readers are helping with seeing your stitches - so much more fun when you can see!

Sylvia said...

Where can I purchase the red work squirrel piece?

Little Penpen said...

All the squirrels are gorgeous; even the one that ran across your foot. I really like what you are doing with the yarn; that is going to be a really cool scarf.

K Reeves said...

Our squirrels have gotten quite bold here too! This morning we watched one climb one of the sunflowers to gobble up a bunch of seeds! Your stitching piece is going to be beautiful, I'm glad to hear the new readers are working out well! Happy stitching and crocheting!

Linda said...

Cute squirrel! Very good work.

Nancy said...

Your squirrel is so very rusty red. I don't believe I've ever seen one in person.
The video of the bird with all the calls -- amazing. Maybe the video wasn't long enough but it didn't look like he had any takers for all his efforts. Poor fellow.
The post with attentive Rex.... My Hannah used to sit and watch me, no matter what I was doing. But eventually, if I didn't move (such as sitting at the computer) she would finally put her had down and rest. Rex is a beautiful fellow.
And your Dresdens (in the previous post), I like your quarter circle on the left side, second one down. I wonder which circle others like -- and which one you like and chose! That's the most important, that you like it.

Nana said...

To me fall is the best season of the year and I love your squirrels (we call them in Germany (translated) oak squirrel).

Nana

Guusje, said...

You have a wonderfull blog with much beauties. And what a beautifull picture of the squirrel. It reminds me to the fact that I also did see two of them the last week over here. Wat beautifull project you have on hands.

Gun said...

Cute squirrel! And the embroidery with the squirrel is very nice!

Kate said...

Such gorgeous handwork! We are too warm here for it to feel like autumn. Love your garden flowers,perfect fall colors.

Jeanne said...

The Kathy Schmitz patterns are so charming! I love autumn :)

Clare said...

Love those squirrels. I love Kathy Schmitz designs as well. Happy Stitching.

Sunny said...

Jocelyn -- squirrels are my second favorite animal, and I especially love the red ones. Sadly we only have the grey here in Seattle. Autumn is my favorite season, and I love that "Welcome Fall" banner! You've got a lot of great projects on the go -- enjoy working on them!

Quilter Kathy said...

Love the tiny granny squares... it will make a fabulous scarf!

Jenn Jilks said...

These are wonderful. I love the little fake one, too!

Radka said...

You have some lovely projects on a go! :-)
xx

Ornery Owl of Naughty Netherworld Press and Readers Roost said...

Cute squirrel! Also, your needlework is impressive.

Kathy S. said...

I love the redwork squirrel. It looks like our kitchen table. (We have an old metal table that was my husband's grandparents.) It's a treasure!

Renee said...

Your projects are all wonderful. I love, love, love the squirrel cross-stitch. Beautiful work! I encountered a squirrel as I approached a crosswalk this week. The poor critter was terrified and I had to be careful not to startle it - I did not want it to dart into the busy intersection. In the end, it clung to a telephone pole and watched me warily as I passed by.