Thursday 5 September 2019

No More Back to School

What does September mean to you?
 Being a teacher, it always meant back to a new school year which also coincided with summer's end, something we did not want.  So there was excitement but also a little melancholy and trepidation about the early days of this month. Funny thing, even though that's ended for me- there is no going back to school, September still conjures up some of those feelings.  When these first weeks pass, then I will truly welcome autumn, a favourite season of mine.
Welcome to the purple in the garden.  Wild asters are all over with their shades of lavender, mauve and purple.
And I scoured my bits of purple stash and came up with enough to make these purple(ish) flag blocks.
Just For Fun
I mentioned I had a birthday recently. I was a Thursday child in the Year of the Rabbit. Oddly enough, I was called Bunny till about 7 years old. There are many more coincidences about my birth that always intrigued me.  And though I don't believe in astrology as such, I can't deny I'm a Virgo through and through.  What about you?
Birthday Answers is a fun site where you type in your birthday and they tell you all about it.

I loved this video by Jen Kingwell. The fabrics remind me of Halloween so a good one to share just now.  Always amazes me how a block looks so different depending on the fabric choices. It is Part 3 of her Marshall Mystery project and she explains how to make the Courthouse Steps block. Now that is an easy block for many of you and maybe even I could do it but I would have to be careful to keep all those lines straight.

What I Did With the fresh Ontario Peaches
I made a peach crisp kind of dessert, a giant one as it turned out.  I got to add lots of good stuff to the crisp mixture besides the oats.  We've been enjoying it with a scoop of vanilla frozen yogurt.
Murphy leading Hubby and Rex in the tall woods...still lots of green but already leaves on the ground.  Oh.
Happy Thursday everyone!
Linking this post with Not Afraid of ColorIt's a Small Town Life,, My Quilt InfatuationAlycia QuiltsSo ScrappyFloral Friday Foto and Brian's Home Blog.










21 comments :

Brian's Home Blog said...

September means cooler temps for us but it hasn't worked so far, it's still in the mid to high 90s F. That peach crisp sure looks yummy. Thanks for joining the Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

Julierose said...

Thanks for the link to Birthday facts--such fun...I love your little purple flags piece...hugs, Julierose

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

Those flag blocks are coming along nicely. Those tiny blocks look so hard to work with- there's no way I could do that-can't wait to see your project. I need that peach dessert and of course that walk in the forest afterwards. Just so peaceful. Enjoy your day! mary

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I know exactly what you mean about the feeling you get (as a former teacher) when September begins, Jocelyn - I feel the same way! Pretty purple aster and I love those flag blocks, too. I'm still eating peaches here - your crisp looks yummy!

Roseanne said...

Hi Jocelyn! Aww, I LOVE that shot of Murphy leading his pack through the woods. I'll bet those trails have some good smells for both him and Rex. Your peach cobbler looks yummy and a scoop of ice cream on top makes it all the better. It seems like Fall is a favorite time of year for most of us Thursday peeps - I know I look forward to it lasting a good long time. No need to hurry winter!

Nancy J said...

The tall trees and falling leaves, lovely purple flags.Down here, the first tulip has flowered, 3 more with bubs. And snow is forecast for both North and South Island. Peaches, I can almost feel the fuzzy skins and taste that deliciousness that no other fruit has.

PaintedThread said...

Fall hikes are the best. Now I'm seriously craving peach cobbler/crumble. :-) It was years after I graduated college before I stopped being so in tune with the seasons. They used to have such distinct activities.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

A peach crisp? Oh my! I could make myself SICK eating that! I loved that and Apple Crunch back when I could eat sugar. Love anything with fresh fruit. And the Halloween fabrics sure are cute for quilts and crafting! Hugs!

Michelle said...

I teach in a primary school and we went back at the first week of August. So, Labor day was a nice three day weekend for us. I think we go back too early, but oh well.... Thanks for linking up today.

Jenn Jilks said...

I remember going back two weeks before school to get set up. Then, I'd socialize the week before or hang out with my children.

LA Paylor said...

I still feel like I should be buying new shoes, and school supplies!! I always liked having a new lunch box, and notebook. Peach crisp... I'm afraid I'd eat it three times a day! Great purples... and the aster photo is too. I love Fall, and was just the other day thinking I should start on this year's Halloween quilt!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

The Birthday answers made my mom laugh when I told her how many minutes I had been alive. Like your blocks. Asters are like the last blast of summer.

Powell River Books said...

Do you get your back-to-school dream? I do each year about this time. I goof and let the kids go home too early and can't get them back. Rather than a dream maybe it's a nightmare. - Margy

Jenny said...

Happy Birthday, we need to celebrate each and every one! I am a Libra (scales of justice, cannot tell a lie, that sort of thing). Both my children are Virgos, and quite different from each other. Robin, hubby no2 so not their dad, is also a Virgo.

Linda said...

My husband and I have been retired for years, and we still get the old "TGIF" feeling on Fridays, before we realize that every day is a weekend to us.
I like your "flag" blocks so much more than HSTs. Is there a pattern for those? When I Google "flag block pattern" I only get results for making country flags.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I like your purple flags!And your hike thru the woods! Beautiful. Back to school was weird this year - I had 3 going of to colleges... such a change from the kindergarten days!

piecefulwendy said...

Peach crisp - yum! I haven't hiked in the woods like that in years. I need to do that again. Love the purple flags!

Susie H said...

Fun post - enjoyed Jen Kingwell's video and your purple aster. he dogs look like they're really enjoying their walk, I know my dog does! Your Flag block is really pretty. Hope you continue to have a great weekend!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I'm catching up on my reading after a crazy week away from the blogs. Happy belated birthday. I'm a Libra and so much like those that know say Libra are. I'm going to check out the link you gave. Fun stuff.
xx, Carol

K Reeves said...

Oh Yum, this reminds me to pull out servings of the decadent, high calorie peach dessert I made a few weeks ago. Definitely a great Sunday dessert with our pot roast. :)

QuiltGranma said...

Hubby and I are both year of the rabbit, so I know how old you are! Happy Birthday! Some of my family celebrate the whole month, so go out and enjoy yourself! It is a good tradition. We've made it this far, let's just keep going!