Sunday 8 September 2019

Paradise No Longer

A decidedly chilly air this morning made me glad I'd shrugged on my jacket as I was leaving the basement. Especially dark along the path through the fir trees.  All the talk of hurricanes happening far away make me think twice about further bemoaning the end of our lovely August weather. I hold that thought as I'm shivering in the breeze over the pond. The weather is turning more drastic it seems. Many of these places that seemed like paradise to us here in Canada, no longer appear as wonderful.  The scenes of devastation are so grim and the loss of life heart breaking.

I mentioned purples in the garden.  Here is dianthus (though different from the Sweet William I bought this summer) with a little coleus and hens and chicks peeking out which looked as good as this briefly. The three of these did not fare as well as other years maybe because of the extreme July heat. Several bunches only produced stragglers. I hate to think it was due to my not watering enough.
I'm looking at this magazine, the Autumn 2017 issue of Quiltmania's Simply Vintage and finding so much inspiration there.  These magazines, while expensive, keep well.
Those of you who work in wool would be interested in this autumn project...I think we all love pumpkins and pears. Of course the patterns are included and can be used for fabric as well.
I realized my baskets project is really kind of fallish too with all the browns and mustard yellows. I'm working on a little border for them.  Again using all the leftover scraps of fabrics.
And I've started a new project for cross stitch, Swirling Flowers, another Karen Kluba design from Rosewood Manor.
  I realized two things with the Summer Storm. It was a gray/blue material which made it harder for me to see and I needed a stronger strength of readers. I didn't realize how high they can go. Duh. A temporary fix but I must get an eye appointment as so many of you urged me to do.
I am jubilant that I can still cross stitch!  Back to pretty Quakers on a soft white background.

Oh the sun is emerging as I finish this "and truly the light is sweet to see". Hoping with all my heart that where ever you are you are safe!
Take care all!
Joining the hand stitchers at Kathy's Quilts. And the scrappy stitchers at Quilting is More Fun Than Housework. Also linking with Small Quilts and Doll QuiltsLove Laugh QuiltEm's Scrapbag and What a Hoot Quilts.



,






23 comments :

Karrin Hurd said...

What great projects, I love working with wool and one of my quilt block favorites is baskets!

Teresa said...

enjoyed your blog. Would love to see one of those Vintage magazines - gonna have to keep my eye out for one.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Well, you never lack in gathering interesting projects. Our Autumn weather has started here in Northern Indiana, though the weather person is predicting 3 days of rain and temps in the 80s this week.
xx, Carol

K Reeves said...

Some very lovely projects going at your house, and I am so glad to hear there's been an interim fix for your eyes. I am thinking it is time for me to go in as well.

MissPat said...

Aren't we a fickle bunch. First we complain about the hot summer temps and then we lament the signs of the approaching fall and ultimately cold winter. And, yes, as we age, I'm sure the seemingly rapid passage of time makes us a bit reflective. You have a lot of delightful projects going. I, too, need to get to the eye doctor. Handwork is becoming increasingly difficult and even the computer can be challenging. We have a bit of a warm-up coming next week, so I hope it reaches you as well.
Pat

Brian's Home Blog said...

Oh no, it seems way too early for Brrrr Humbug Season! Your quilting is always the best!

Sherrie said...

Hi,
It's starting to cool off here Indiana also. I'm not ready for the winter....but then again I'm never ready for winter..lol Your stitching and quilting is beautiful! Have a great day!

Linda said...

I love magazines like that. I have a couple on my shelf. I've actually never made a thing from them, but I love to sit down and look at them.
I agree about "paradise". We've visited islands and said we wanted to live there, but actually, no. We live 100 miles from the Gulf coast in Texas, and that's too close for me. We've lived through 3 hurricanes and were visited by Harvey 2 years ago. Very little wind but 30 inches of rain. I'll take autumn over any other season.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love the change of the seasons, so don't mind a little chill in the air here in Colorado - but we are still pretty warm, so haven't felt it yet. I always enjoy seeing what you're working on, Jocelyn! The appliqued baskets with the 4 patches for a border will be so lovely. Can I ask what size your baskets are? And the new cross-stitch looks like a beautiful pattern, too!

CathieJ said...

So many pretty pictures to look at. I like your new cross-stitch piece and those baskets are very pretty. I like looking over old magazines and getting inspiration.

Kim said...

As much as I feel sad that cooler weather is heading your way....I must say I am rather delighted to say warmer weather will soon be on its way to me......sorry. =) I always love seeing your sweet baskets and as for your new stitching pretty, Swirling Flowers, is lovely. May you enjoy your Autumn days filled with the glorious colours that only this season can bring.

moosecraft said...

It seems the hurricanes are getting bigger and stronger as the years pass...
As I age, I'm disliking heat & humidity more...so, I welcome this cooler autumn air! It's so refreshing and the air seems cleaner...
Beautiful stitches! Try as I might, I just can't seem to stop cross stitching...cross stitch takes sooooo much time and the ol' eyesight ain't what it used to be...
Simply Vintage is one of the only 3 magazines I get delivered...from the projects to the photography and layout of the magazine, it really is a quality publication!
Have a blessed week!

Verveine et lin said...

J'aime vos charmants petits paniers !

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

OK Lady - come on down to South Texas and get those eyes fixed! Then you can see the thread - that is what happened to me last month and now I realize that when I have my glasses off and all things are blurry that it is Cataract time - hoping that is what your issue is and nothing more! Please take care of you!

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

Oh dear- from what you have shared of your area around your home-it truly is paradise to me. The hurricanes ARE getting bigger, stronger and more devastating. Extreme weather is also happening everywhere. Beautiful stitches are everywhere in your projects. I hope you can get an eye exam soon. I do every other year. Enjoy the paradise. mary

Rebecca Grace said...

I'll bet Fall in Canada is gorgeous. If you're not already in peak foliage season, it must be right around the corner. I love your cross stitch and your little baskets.

Angie in SoCal said...

It was our first cool morning here this Monday - a mere 65, lately in the mid 70s. Your little baskets are so cute. Blessings,

Lin said...

Autumn is on the way - I am wearing a jumper for the first time since spring. All of a sudden we have chilly nights (happy quilt times ahead!) but it does mean that the flowers that have been so sad over our hot dry summer are coming back to life and flowering beautifully. Bonus. Swirling flowers looks gorgeous - enjoy the journey. xx

Jackie's Stitches said...

I'm so jealous of your cooler weather! I'm in Florida and we've had record highs this week. Almost 100. Ugh. I need to move north!

I need to revisit the few magazines I have! I kept them because they have projects in them that I love!

Jenn Jilks said...

We seldom complain about the change in weather. I love change, plus, as you said, hurricanes, etc. make us grateful.

QuiltGranma said...

Loving those baskets, I keep thinking of doing them in wool! So glad you can see again!

For the love of geese said...

I still love these baskets. We are having unseasonable weather here in my neck of the woods. Normally we wouldn't dream of running the AC in September but we are still looking at 80+ degree days. 80 isn't bad but paired with the high humidity it's miserable. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down. I look forward to the basket finish.

Lynette said...

Your baskets quilt is going to be marvelous. I love the checkerboard boarder idea.