Tuesday 7 January 2014

Lace Making Tools and Vintage Scissors

I wanted to share with you another gift.  This was given to me by my son-in-law who enjoys frequenting auctions and antique sales.  When he saw this item, he thought of me even though he wasn't sure exactly what it was.  He knew it must have had something to do with sewing.
I was happy to receive this and also, of course, it is nice to know he is thinking about me as he goes about his treasure hunting.  I believe this little kit contains tools for lace making and it includes many small well-carved items.  We think it is very old; the bobbins are made of wood and have a well-used look to them.  There is a tiny pin cushion with it but it doesn't fit in the little woven container.
The scissors are perhaps the most interesting item here.  They are old-fashioned and have a very special design; they measure about six inches long with just under two inches being the blades.  One of the blades has a lip as if these scissors were designed with a special purpose in mind.  I had to do some digging to find out what.  In Philip R. Pankiewicz' s book American Scissors and Shears: An Antique and Vintage Collectors' Guide, I found a pair that looked very similar to mine.  They were designed to trim lamp wicks and the like. Though mine are quite rusty, they are very sharp still and work quite well.  They feel comfortable but a trifle heavy.  I'm not sure how to clean them; a good cleaning might reveal a name or date of manufacture.  The scissors in Mr. Pankiewicz's book were vintage made around 1910.  

No comments :