Friday 31 January 2014

Longevity and Baked Salmon

Now is the time the various working parts of the body are starting to signal quitting time.  Bodies were simply not designed to last as long as we want them to last.  How long would be long enough?  My mother says seeing great-grandchildren is long enough for her; I always said to live to see grandchildren would be enough for me.  A neighbour living with cancer wanted to live till Christmas but sadly, did not make it.
I understand there are two things consistently found in people who live long lives....eating breakfast every day and taking naps.  I pick at this a little; what  exactly constitutes a breakfast?  Did they mean oatmeal or eggs or would just a slice of toast do?  I'm interested in this because I've never been able to eat soon after waking.  I can manage a small glass of juice and water or half an orange at most, then a cup of coffee.  I can't handle real food until about 10 am which coincidentally was recess in my work world. For most of my working life I would eat a Golden Delicious apple; in later years and up to now it is a Royal Gala apple. I still love my apple a day.
As for naps, sleeping in the daytime completely eludes me.  I will want to at times, even need to, but I can't.  I think I'm like a baby; I would have to be strapped into a car seat and driven around, then maybe I would nod off.
 I  seem to be out of luck with this, but then, I have lived to see my grandchildren  so....

Supper last night...This is salmon cooked my favourite way; baked in a 350 degree oven for about 15 to 18 minutes, depending on the thickness of the filet.  I used olive oil, lemon and onions and a bit of salt and pepper.  I made what I call a crunchy salad to go with it, one containing cut up broccoli and cauliflower.  I really like how easy a meal like this is to make. 

No comments :