Tuesday 5 January 2016

Definitely Not Dieting, Quilty 365 and The New Black

Quilty 365

Before I forget, I wanted to share a project I came across in blogland by accident.  It is found on the blog Quilty Folk  and is called Quilty 365.  The idea is that each day you make a small circle from your quilting scraps, sew it to a neutral colour backing and ta da, a year later, you have a quilt. I really liked that the circles were not perfect but a slightly primitive rendering (so not too fussy).
And some people are opting to sew small rectangles instead; stitched together into long strips and then sewing the strips together would make a very colourful quilt.
 Audrey calls this a Year Long Quilting Journey and the link is HERE to her post where she very aptly describes the process and  provides information about yardage and circle making.

I like the idea of small, very doable projects like this.  No big outlay in money or time really.  Just steady on. And with bits of cloth from each of your projects, this can be something of a memory quilt too.

What's the new black?

Every year, old colours are made new again.  Last year was a purply colour called Marsala. 

PANTONE COLOR OF THE YEAR 2015 - Marsala 18-1438




 This year it's pink and blue, but not just any pink and blue. 
The colour institute Pantone announced that Rose Quartz and Serenity Blue, a pink and blue, were the new black for 2016.  Easy on the eyes.  I think my mom had a sofa in that rose colour back in the eighties. What do you think?


Pantone Color of the Year for 2016: ROSE QUARTZ & SERENITY ‹ Fashion ...

Nancy at The Literate Quilter wrote a wonderful post about the history of these two colours and I learned a lot from reading it.  Of course, these colours are not new at all and have surfaced every few decades.   The link to her Pink and Blue Post is Here.

 I'm wondering how you are making out with all the treats that are around during the holidays, like fudge or in our case, chocolates.  When they are brought from far away and is just about the best chocolate, you have no choice but to indulge.  Hubby and I have it made with this box...he prefers dark and I like the milk chocolate so it works out perfectly.






I don't ever diet per se myself but I know a lot of people aim to eat healthier in the new year.  I thought this was funny.


Those who read my posts know I don't usually make New Years' resolutions.  But I always have ideas and goals in mind for my health, my reading, my hobbies, etc.  No I'm never short on ideas that's for sure!
That being said, in 2016 I 'd really like to learn more about growing vegetables.  I guess that's a resolution of sorts.  Now it's ringing a bell.  Did I aim to do this last year as well?  Eek. I'll have to check back. 

This is one of my all time favourite songs/hymns; I love the way it celebrates our beautiful planet. Hope you have time to give it a listen.  This Is My Father's World


No comments :