Monday 20 June 2016

To Niagara Falls and Back

Hello and Happy Monday!

A little deeper into June now and I am back with you from a holiday in one of the most visited places on earth, Niagara Falls.

As so often happens to me, there is a story to my getting away.
 Just after I published my last post, I heard on the news that Via Rail might be going on strike the very morning of our train ride. We would not find out that the contract had been settled and a strike averted till 11 pm the night before we left.  It was a bit of a nail biter and I had had to cancel two hotels just in case there was a strike.  This left me scrambling to rebook at the very last minute and being hit with the realization that hotel rooms become scarce not only in a very popular destination but also in downtown Toronto.  As a result, I had to take a room in a very expensive hotel in Toronto and a room further away from the attractions in Niagara Falls.
We finally got away without further incident and enjoyed a lovely three hour train ride to Toronto. We over-nighted and took another two hour train ride to Niagara Falls the next day.  We settled in there for the next four days.

Here are a couple of things about my holiday.

I took a ride on the Sky Wheel, a giant ferris wheel.  For those of you with a fear of heights like myself, you will know this was not easy.  But I did it.  I had told Grandson to close his eyes if he got too scared on the simulated 4D roller coaster ride earlier in the day, so I took my own advice.

 

We were enclosed in our own little cars which made it so much better and I felt fairly safe.

                                   Image result for skywheel niagara falls

I visited Louis Tussaud's Wax Museum.  I find there is a high 'creep' factor in these places.  Some of the figures look very real and it is easy to believe they will reach out and touch you.  Grandson got his share of the willies in the horror corridor, and I did too.

We spent a day at Marineland which brought us memories of taking the daughters there many years ago.  It was significant that we were back taking in the same sights and rides with a grandson.
 How life continues!

Of course the falls themselves are magnificent.  I'd forgotten how such beauty in water can be spellbinding.  And wet.  There is always a mist in the air anywhere near the falls.
On that point, we learned that less water is going over the falls all the time due to global warming.

When I figure out how to transfer photos from my phone to the computer, I will show you some other things I did on my holiday.

I arrived last night in extreme heat and another heat wave warning has been issued for today...+ 35 degrees C.  I won't be outside much, just catching up with housework inside and putting on the slow cooker.











No comments :