Wednesday 5 March 2014

American Patchwork and Quilting Magazine...A Favourite




"The enjoyment of quiltmaking should not come just from the end result but from the process of getting there."

                          Lynette Jensen




Today I want to share with you my favourite quilting magazine, American Patchwork and Quilting.  I enjoy their regular columns which always include tips from readers, stories from quilting women, a little fabric/thread/quilting history and an overabundance of inspiration.  The 'projects' department is a major section of each issue and includes designs both easy and more complex.  There are also full sized patterns included in each issue to go along with the projects.  I always find something that I know I could successfully attempt myself. 
This magazine has been on the go since 1993 and they really do pack a lot into each issue.  They have also gone online with a website called AllPeopleQuilt.com.  I have happily incorporated several tips I read in the back issues, like using a thick pot holder to press out small blocks and always stopping sewing at a point where everything is a go for the next session....bobbin full, etc.  Yes, I guess some of us need to be told these things.  One of their issues showed all-time favourite patchwork blocks; I was curious to see which ones my mother had used and sure enough, I recognized a number from her work.  It is interesting to think of quilting women as part of an international community and it seems they've been that way for many decades. 

No comments :