Monday 10 March 2014

Secretly Liking a Beatle

I have two music playlists, one is for my exercise workouts and the other is for the car.  I have selections from the Beatles on both.  I just realized there had been an anniversary marking fifty years since Beatlemania.  I took an online quiz to test my knowledge of the fab four and realized I did not know that much about them, especially their pre-Beatle years.
I was twelve years old when they had their famous appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show.  Like most households in North America, we too tuned in.  Who could forget the images of all those shrieking, sobbing girls.  I think we were stunned to see such a reaction and I know my parents couldn't understand what all the fuss was about.
I had a better inkling because all the girls at school were talking about the Beatles every time we got together.  One of my classmates told us she had played her record of I Want To Hold Your Hand over and over till it began to melt; another said she had sung the words over and over till she got a sore throat and couldn't make a peep.  All my friends had picked out a favourite Beatle though I think most of them chose Paul. I don't know why but I just had to be different; I told everyone I thought they were unattractive and I didn't like any of them.  This was simply not true because I secretly liked John and I credit him with starting my liking of dark-haired, smart boys.
One of my favourite songs was written by a Beatle, George Harrison...While My Guitar Gently Weeps.  I play it in the car and still love its sweet words and melody.
I heard this story years ago; a man was in a record shop and overheard one teenager say to another, 'hey, I didn't know Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings'.  Hard to believe because I'm sure it is understood that the Beatles had the most effect on popular music of any band before or since.

No comments :