Monday 14 April 2014

"Cooked" Dinner

My stove and pots and pans getting a workout....

Yesterday I made a 'cooked dinner' as I call it.  Back at the start of our friendship, in the days when a couple are getting to know each other, hubby found my use of certain phrases amusing and this was one.  Aren't all our dinners cooked, I remember him saying with a big smile.  He is used to it now and knows this means a meal with some kind of meat, usually beef, and lots of cooked vegetables and gravy to go with it.  I took advantage of Easter sales and bought a roast of beef at a good markdown.  It worked out well as was quite tender and made a good tasting gravy.
Another thing I have my own name for is this...a biscuit I make with meat which I call a 'crust'.  It is a plain biscuit that can be placed on top of the almost cooked meat for about the last 20 minutes the meat is in the oven.  My own recipe is as follows:
Meat Crust
1 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
almost 1/2 cup butter or shortening
1/4 cup milk or enough to hold the mixture together. 

You just mix all dry ingredients, cut in the butter and then add the milk.  Work this dough enough so it holds together, add more flour if you need to, and then gently place on top of the meat.  You can also put it in a separate plate to bake if you want to take your meat out to rest.  I usually up the oven temperature to 400 degrees for the crust to bake. 
As you can see from my photo, mine rose and fell down the sides of the roast but that's okay, it still tasted fine.  Hubby really likes this, I think because he loves anything the word biscuit can be applied to. 
No, nothing gourmet here but it tasted good and the best part was I made enough for left-overs the next night.  Yes, a good meal, a small pleasure enjoyed together. 

No comments :