Friday 11 April 2014

Things I Won't Think About Again

"Drag your thoughts away from your troubles...by the ears, by the heels, or any other way you can manage it."

                                                                                                         Mark Twain


The fifties are the youth of old age they say.  I guess that is why I didn't feel old at all then, in fact, I enjoyed how I felt about myself throughout that decade.   But now I'm in my sixties and I admit I feel a little different about the aging thing as I've talked about before.
As well though, I do recognize a freeing aspect to getting older...there are things I will never have to think about again...here are a few.

1. Spaghetti strap dresses. (Self-evident.)

2. High heels (same as #1)

3. Which shade blonde I am.  I used to always have highlights put in my hair. This became an issue for me during the summer months.  The sun always lightened my hair and I hated to get too light, never wanting to be a platinum blonde (not that there is anything wrong with that).

4. How wide my hips are.  I used to think my classic 'child-bearing' hips were almost too wide to get through narrow doorways.  I now think what a ridiculous notion that was and these days other than fitting them into clothes, I don't give them too much thought. 

 5. Polynomials, the table of elements and those i.q. questions about Train A leaving platform 2 at 3 p.m. and Train B leaving platform 4 at ....you know the ones I mean. I never want to think about those things again ever. 

6. Which political party is in power.  I've now seen them both over and over and the sameness about the issues that arise is disappointing.... I used to care a lot about that but no more.

7. Keeping all my clothes perfectly pressed and folded neatly in drawers.  I used to spend serious time ironing and carefully organizing everything just as if the Ironing Police or Drawer Inspectors or someone was going to come in and check out how I was doing.  Don't give that a thought anymore. 



 

No comments :