Monday 9 November 2015

Apricot and Chocolate Chip Scones

I love scones or tea buns, any thing that can be a form of baking powder biscuits, I guess.  There is something about eating this type of treat with a cup of tea that seems like comfort food to me.  Heartier than a cookie, scones are always a reminder of home too.
Yesterday I made a small batch for the two of us.



  Of course, you don't have to add chocolate chips; since I live with a chocolate lover I included them.  And I've made these scones with many different dried fruits...cranberries, raisins, mango bits, etc.  In fact, below is a product very similar to the kind of package I buy here at Costco which has three or four dried fruits and I use them for a number of recipes. I'm fond of the dried orange in particular to use in rice. 


                            Image result for tropical orange dried fruit mix



Anyway here is my recipe.

Apricot and Chocolate Chip Scones 


2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar (I used slightly less)
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt

1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup chopped dried apricots
1/3 cup chocolate chips

1 egg
1/3 to 1/2 cup milk  

Heat oven to 400 degrees.

Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
Cut in butter.
Stir in dried fruit and chocolate chips.
Whisk egg and milk together and add to flour mixture.
Form into a ball and lightly knead. This is the only tricky part of this recipe...making sure the dough is wet enough to stay together but not too wet so it doesn't form a nice ball.
Pat it into a round on an ungreased baking sheet.
Score the dough marking 8 wedges.



Bake about 15 minutes; check to see if it needs 4 or 5 minutes more to brown very lightly.




Remove wedges to wire rack.

If you do try this recipe, hope you like it. We did.






No comments :