Wednesday 4 November 2015

Bonfire Night and Stitching Updates


                                       


This was Bonfire Night when I was a girl.  We all heard the story of Guy Fawkes in school retold every year but to us kids it was a night to have fires.   Most streets hosted one giant fire and everyone gathered round and had their wieners, marshmallows or potatoes to roast.
  The boys would be gathering old tires, boughs and trees during the days leading up to it and much bragging would occur about how big this year's fire would be.  After dark, you could look around and see burning fires dotting the landscape.  The fire department was always alert that night but I don't remember there being any problem ever.

Most communities in Newfoundland and Labrador still celebrate Bonfire Night but instead of lots of little fires, there is usually one big one hosted by the town council with the fire department on hand to ensure safety.  Everyone is welcome to come for hot chocolate and roasted marshmallows.

               

Meanwhile, no fires here.  In fact, the weather has turned unseasonably warm and we have put our wood fires on pause.
 Do you celebrate Guy Fawkes Day or Bonfire Night where you are?

Around

It is quiet in the woods these days.  No cricket sounds, bees buzzing, not a frog croak...I wonder how deep must they burrow in the mud to make it through our winter. Even most of the Canada  geese have made their way noisily south.  It is like the earth is preparing, making still all things, girding itself for what is to come.

 And the trees in those woods.  I notice today for the first time that I can see right through them.  The leaves turning to mush underfoot already.  It feels like Autumn has been brief but these warm temps this week are helping prolong the fallish feeling.

Meanwhile inside, my Granny Stripe Blanket is starting to look blanket-like.


And my cross stitch project is inching along.


But now stalled because I have used up all the blue of that outer border.  I couldn't believe it when I went to my fishing tackle box/floss storage container and could not find another skein of it.  This project has used up a lot of my floss stash which is a good thing.  I'll have to huff it down to Michaels' and hope they have this particular colour; it is not entirely blue...has a little tinge of lilac in it.  I still love this design and am looking forward to having it completed...eventually.

Before I leave you I must show you our brand new prime minister just sworn in yesterday, Justin Trudeau.

Justin Trudeau is best bet to renew federal Liberals: Editorial ...

Nice heh?  But what I love is that for the first time in our history the cabinet is made up of an equal number of men and women.  When asked why he did that, his answer was, "because it's 2015".














No comments :