Sunday 9 April 2017

Weight (Yuck) and Stitching Goals

Does this happen to you too?
Throughout our long winter, I notice some pounds creep onto my body.  I am ending winter heavier than I began it.  I maybe should not be blaming winter; I did some wonderful eating throughout those months, a lot of it comfort type meals made by myself so I can't blame anyone else.  Hubby is exactly the same weight as he always was and he seemed to be eating right along with me. And in fact ate far more of the dessert foods I made.

 But I think a woman's body is different somehow; those fat cells just lie in wait to be plumped again.
I don't weigh myself  so I haven't any idea in poundage what I'm talking about.
Anyway, I've redoubled my efforts for food vigilance.  I don't make weight goals but I will make this one... to try to be more mindful of the amounts of food I'm eating.  Portion control Vigilance, in other words. (Sounds like poison control!)

And speaking of food...I did make that 3 Ingredient Chocolate Mousse. As predicted, Hubby loved it.  I made it with the dark, dark chocolate so it wasn't really sweet as such.  The recipe also didn't make that much so Hubby just got three smallish bowls (camera angle enlarging the size here) from it, which was his only complaint.


Goal setting has been on my mind lately.  I just read that we have one quarter of the new year gone already and it made me think of what have I accomplished.  Some of you are posting beautiful finishes and I seem to be working away but nothing near finished yet.

Am I organized enough to set a stitching goal?  I had to think about that.  I tend to plod along working on whatever projects I have at the time without too much thought to when to finish.
( Remember my 9 month long crocheted hexagon afghan!)

But I did have a sort of goal in mind with my Tuesday Flowers project.  I wanted to get at least 10 of the 20 blocks finished before allowing myself to start another quilting project.   I have 9 completed with two more in pieces right now.  So for April I will try to get those two finished with two more added to it.  This is mostly EPP with hand applique and it can't be hurried...that much.
The process of tracing and cutting the freezer paper templates takes time.


Then choosing  the fabrics and shaping each piece around the template.



Block 5 is one where I departed from the freezer paper method and used fusible applique.  It's not my favorite thing to do but it worked well for this particular block.  Then I blanket stitched around each piece which gave me a chance to use those pretty Valdani threads.



That part I do enjoy. Anyway, I'm moving along.

So I'm letting myself start thinking about (maybe) tackling a large project down the road a bit.  To that end I did order a fabric bundle that caught my eye on a Craftsy sale.  I like the idea of red, white and blue, a nod to our Union Jack roots and for a long time have had the plan to make a quilt in those colours. This fabric is called Colonial Manor (Americana).  Can't wait to get it and see if it will go with anything I already have on hand.

                                 


 But here is where I fall down the rabbit's hole...which reds, which blues.  In each of those colour groups there is such a range and they don't all mix well.  This is the toughest part of the quilting process and it comes right at the start!

How about you...any particular goals in mind for the next quarter of the new year?

I am happy to link this post to Slow Stitching Sunday at Kathy's Quilts blog.  So much wonderful stitching happening there!



No comments :