Sunday 16 April 2017

Stitching and Baking

 I say I should have called my blog The Imperfect Quilter.

Since retiring I am taking my quilting more seriously and trying ever so hard to get it right. In the process I've discovered I am not that great at straight lines and precise angles -abilities much needed in patchwork piecing. But I am learning to be more forgiving of my mistakes and imperfections and mainly because I've also discovered this.  When any piece is quilted, bound and hanging on the wall, the imperfections are not as glaring, even to me.

This was a good week for my Tuesday Flowers Project. So good I allowed myself to start my next little project which I will show soon.

I just love this block and loved piecing it.  I like it so much I'd like to make more of just this one sometime.  And if I got to practice it more I'd eventually make one just like the design!
When the papers come out, the block takes on a new look...a soft, quilty kind of look to it that is appealing.

Block 10 which gave me some fussy cutting practice.



Here is Block 13 in pieces.


And this is Block 15 getting its embellishments, a little herringbone stitch around the center circle and of course, blanket stitches because this one was fusible appliqued.




And from my kitchen, this treat for us.
I had some leftover buttermilk for pancakes so I made a batch of Buttermilk Raisin Scones.  Such a comfort type of food for me as I grew up with Mom making many variations of these biscuit type treats.

 I will say I cut them smaller than I normally would; I reminded myself that I'm supposed to be mindful of portion size right now.


And there is an old housewife's tip about buttermilk which I know Mom used.  If you don't have any on hand, stir a teaspoon of vinegar into a cup of milk and let it sit for 5 minutes and this results in a mixture that is very like buttermilk.

Find the easy to follow recipe here:- Canadian Living Finest Buttermilk Scones. I added one cup of raisins to the mixture.



So good with a bit of butter and a big mug of tea.


Wish you could join me!

And speaking of joining, today I am happily linking up with Kathy's Quilts Slow Stitching Sunday post, designer Cynthia's Quilting is More Fun Than Housework blog, Patchwork Times, Confessions of a Fabric Addict and Life As We Know It By Paula and BOMs Away At What a Hoot Quilts..







No comments :