Tuesday 4 August 2015

You Must Hear This


                                             


I don't know how many of you would have read this story.  I do know many of you probably hold pins in your mouth when sewing.  It is the classic image really, isn't it?  Seamstress on her knees, holding the hem of a gown pinning the length while gripping an extra pin or two in her mouth.  You must read  Annie McCarthey's story  I Inhaled A Pin Into My Lung about a pin that one second was in her mouth and the next down her throat.  I guarantee when you read this you won't be using your mouth as a pin cushion again.

And speaking of pin cushions or pin keeps as they are sometimes called...instead of your mouth...

Look at this beauty.  It is found at fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net and was pinned on Pinterest.  I would love to give you the embroiderer's name but a search did not reveal it.  If anyone knows, would you please email me the information.  This is just too pretty to miss.



  
And this is a lovely crocheted African flower pin cushion made by the very talented Sandra at Cherry Heart and the link To Her Tutorial to Make This Sweet Project is Here.



 


I've read ideally a pin cushion should be filled with steel wool.  This helps sharpen the pin each time it is inserted.  I would not have thought of that.

 There are so many clever, innovative, and beautiful ideas for making unique pin keeps I just have to keep showing you more.

 These below are quilted and I thought what a great way to use up scraps.  You can find a complete tutorial by Judith Dahmen at The Liberty Craft Blog Uk.
 Judith is an accomplished quilter and I love her use of colour in particular.
You can follow Judith's quilting journey at her blog which is Needles and Lemons.

 These little cuties are perfect for scraps.  How to make a pincushion with Judith Dahmen





How about a traveling pin keep?  Who doesn't have these old medicine bottles around and wonder what to do with them. Find out how to convert them at Christy Robbins Blogspot.  Christy's site, From Glitter to Gumdrops is chock a block with all kinds of ideas for every occasion of the calendar year, many very economical and clever.

And lastly, one I think is a small work of art.




Lori Ann Corelis is a textile artist who creates original bears and rabbits.  She describes the tuffet as the pin cushion and the little mohair rabbit as being ready and able to help with any of your sewing projects. Adorable.  You can read more about Lori and view her gallery of work at her blog The Spotted Hare.

So many great projects to hold pins rather than your mouth. But you know I bet Annie is not the first person to have swallowed a pin.  Gives me the willies just thinking that thought.

You'll find oodles of pin keep ideas on the web.  Pinterest alone has hundreds. They seem to be a favourite project for many stitchers, I guess because they are small, doable and don't require a lot in materials. 


Something completely different. I couldn't resist showing you this.

 I always knew John Lennon was my favourite Beatle for a reason!

                                        John Lennon with Pfaff!, via Flickr..



No comments :