Thursday 10 March 2016

Words, Flowers, Quilt Block

A solitary fisherman’s home keeps watch on quiet Placentia Bay in Newfoundland, Canada, 1974.Photograph by Sam Abell, National Geographic Creative


This week so far I've stared hard at this photo.  I know to some it would be the very picture of loneliness or isolation or abandonment.  Others might think of other words such as refuge,solitude, rest or even welcome.  This is one of those pictures, I think, that is really worth a thousand words.  What words does it conjure up for you...this fisherman's humble house in Placentia Bay, Newfoundland with the Atlantic Ocean at its door step?

This week I finished this book...

                    

I enjoyed reading this book very much.  Perhaps it was the mood I was in.  A mood that allowed me to love the idea of messaging through flowers, for there is a secret language to be found there.  I loved this young heroine, Victoria.  I wonder was she named for the Victorians who first used flowers to convey their messages of love to each other.  Asters for patience, honeysuckle for devotion, red roses for love and so on.

 Here is a photo of one of my daffodil patches in spring, 2014, NOT right now.


How appropriate that daffodils mean new beginnings.  How much I love seeing them appear each spring.  I can't wait to see them again.  Alas still snow covered for now.

This week I prepped three more blocks for the FWSQ including this one with the unusual name of Pharlemia.



I love this kind of lap work you can achieve while watching t.v.  EPP is really the best when it comes to that requirement.

And speaking of rest and quiet.  You don't have to be isolated to find it.

A most common sight found in my kitchen any afternoon.



No comments :