Saturday 21 June 2014

Cross Stitch Masquerading as Doilies

I do actually finish projects too.  I don't think I have shown you these two cross stitch pieces I worked together about five years ago now.  The patterns are from the book called Elegance- Exquisite Doily Patterns Charted for Cross Stitch compiled in 1984 by Annette Bradshaw and Gwyn Franson.  These two ladies collaborated on a number of cross stitch pattern books back in the eighties and nineties.  This particular one appealed to me because I love the look of doilies, tatted work and lace in general.  I think I bought the book from Amazon.com and I'm not sure if it is still available or not. 


This is the pattern called Star of Hope and I added the extension option the designers had included.  Worked on navy blue fabric with a slightly variegated light blue floss, I'm not sure I could as happily complete this these days.  I remember well having to unsew a portion of one of the star's points to correct the counting, but it was forgiving of minor inaccuracies.


This is the pattern called Soutache with the extension completed as well.  It was worked with aurifil thread, the red that reminds me of Christmas stitching, on white aida cloth.  I don't remember making any major boo boos, but don't look too closely.
I remember where I was when I completed these projects.  It was during June while I was on holidays in Newfoundland, a very happy visit with my parents.  My mother was making an afghan using the afghan stitch worked with that funny extra long crochet hook.  She was quite happy about learning this new way of crocheting from a friend of hers.  We worked side by side late each afternoon and evening at our respective projects, sipping our cups of tea. 

No comments :