Friday 6 March 2015

Quilt-Making and Growing Pink Things

Last month on February 2 it was Groundhog Day. The traditional story goes that Mr. Groundhog ventures from his den after his long winter nap; if he sees his shadow it means 6 more weeks of winter so he goes back inside his den.  But if it is a cloudy day and he doesn't see a shadow, he stays outside; spring has arrived.
It seems we wound up with groundhogs on both ends of the country and one saw his shadow and one did not.  So these dueling groundhogs were absolutely no help for us now wanting to know when can we expect spring to begin.  The Farmer's Almanac has said spring will be colder than usual.  Thanks for that.

Perhaps you saw this cartoon a friend forwarded to me on Facebook...



Ahh yes, the upside of us stitchers being housebound.



Isn't this pretty?  This is Daughter's Christmas Cactus plant coming into bloom.  It is producing gorgeous blooms right now and I think it somehow responded to the daily increase in light.  I'm going to say that is what it is anyway because Christmas Cactus seem like a tricky plant to bring to bloom sometimes.



The seed catalogues have begun to arrive; surely that is a sign of spring.  I just love this cover; all the pinks are beautiful.

I have decrowned my African violet and followed the advice found on Youtube.  I have the leaves all nestled in a planter and I'm covering them at night with a plastic bag, per the instructions.  I notice they need no watering at all with this; it is so humid inside their plastic home.
 I know nothing about this...learning as I go and yet another thing I would like to know more about.


  Hubby would like to rule the world; I would like to know everything! (But then I'd literally be a Know-It-All and we know what we think of them.)

No comments :