Wednesday 28 January 2015

Flowers and Greenery Mid-Winter

Sun belying the bitter cold temperatures we are experiencing.  Good for the various potted plants I have around the house...


I was so dubious about having an orchid but I have to say it has bloomed continuously for almost a year now...hubby brought it into the house around Valentine's last year.  If you would like a plant that blooms endlessly with just three ice cubes of water a week and no other care, then an orchid is for you.  I don't know any other flowering plant that survives so well with what amounts to benign neglect (sort of).


It is constantly forming new buds with no visible encouragement from me.
Likewise, my lone African violet is also faring well.  I've moved it to the living room big windows to soak up more of the bright light.



 At some point, I understand I will have to remove a ring of the outer leaves.  Youtube will be my friend then as it is for so many pointers on just about every topic under the sun.  What did we do before the internet?




And here is my bank of geraniums and spider plants in the dining room. All surviving and providing a little greenery in mid winter.  The spider plants, by the way, have been ongoing for over 30 years.

No comments :