Sunday 4 January 2015

My Classic (Kind of) Crepes

I love making crepes. Besides being inexpensive and easy to make, which they are, it is also good when a recipe can work as savoury or sweet which crepes can do.
 Here is my recipe for crepe batter; I've had it kicking around so long I really have no idea where it came from.

Crepe Batter

2 cups flour
3/4 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
3 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup water

I used to beat all this together with a whisk, but nowadays I use my Ninja blender to mix it.  I think the most important part of making good crepes is to cool the batter.  I've had this batch sitting in the fridge overnight.



I used to have a proper crepe pan to fry them but now I use a small fry pan.  Melt a little butter or margarine and use about 1/3 cup of batter for each crepe.  They need a little more time on the first side. I use medium heat and watch for when they start to look 'set' and then lift to see if some brown spots are forming on the bottom.  Then I flip them and sometimes I use my fingers (Mommy hands!) to help with that.  Like any pancake the most time is in the flipping and as well, they look prettier as you keep making them.



I stack them between wax paper and they can be frozen like this in zip lock  plastic bags. But I try to use them as soon as possible because they lose flavour if frozen too long.


The chopped vegetables are for my pot of pea soup I just started.  One of the benefits of leftover holiday ham.


These are so versatile; any kind of filling will do.  I used a little chopped fruit...peach and grapes that I heated with a little butter; yes, that is whipped cream on the top.  But I figured it was still technically Christmas, sooo

No comments :