Thursday 13 November 2014

Cardinal, King of Colour

w

What a treat for me when I glanced out the kitchen window and spied this little guy foraging in the back yard.  I think he is the same cardinal I see around every now and then. He's fairly reclusive, doesn't hang around for long; only shows himself very briefly... just enough to tantalize me.


True to form he stayed just long enough for me to grab my camera and take a couple of shots through the patio door.  But as always, I loved seeing him.
Cardinals are a treat in the bird world here in Canada...most of our birds are dark colours, the grays, browns and blacks.  Bluejays and cardinals are the exception and because the cardinals are rarer than the jays, we appreciate them all the more.
This site all about birds is full of interesting information about cardinals (and any other bird you might want to check out).  It is one of my favourites.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/northern_cardinal/sounds

Not only is the red colour of the cardinal outstanding, their song is also melodious and beautiful.  Give it a listen; guaranteed to cheer you.

No comments :