Sunday 9 November 2014

Which Cloud is Heaven?

"Which of these clouds is heaven?" my seven year old grandson asked me.
We were flying back from  Newfoundland three years ago and were high up in the sky, bathed in beautiful sunshine and looking down on the most wonderful fluffy white clouds.  You know the kind, they look like giant marshmallows and you feel like you want to reach out and touch them.  I was a little thrown off by the question because heaven was not something I thought he knew much about.
"Are we going to see it? Is the pilot going to fly us over it?"
I didn't know what to say to him.   
"Look at these clouds, they're so beautiful, we've got to be getting close to heaven."
I was at a loss for words struck by the simplicity yet enormity of what he was saying.
"I really want to see Buddy," he continued.  Ahh, so that was it.  Buddy, the family dog, had died of old age recently and it had been a big loss to everyone.  I realized someone  must have said Buddy was now in heaven. Grandson went on to say could I ask the pilot to make a detour over heaven if it wasn't on our route.
I don't really know what I said to him, knowing me it would have been a whole lot of words but I did tell him to talk about this with his Mom and Dad when he got home.
 He took all this very seriously and had a few tears when he realized he would not be able to see Buddy that day.  It might be my only chance to see him again, I remember my sad little grandson saying, as I hugged him. 
Yes, out of the mouths of babes....

No comments :