Wednesday 26 November 2014

Fish Casserole, My Way




Where I grew up in Newfoundland, fish referred to only one kind of fish and that was cod.  If you were having any other kind it was called by its name, herring, salmon, etc.  I love cod but find it doesn't taste the same to me anymore and especially after it has languished in the freezer for awhile.  I therefore have to dress it up a bit more. 
This is my version of fish casserole and when I say fish I mean cod.  We don't seem to ever eat enough fish though we both like it.  I know how good it is for you but yet it seems it is usually the last thing I reach for in the freezer.
This dish is very easy as it just involves layering the ingredients and then baking it. This time I layered the following in the order given into a casserole dish...

                                          4 cups of spinach
                                          2 filets of cod
                                          one small can of chickpeas
                                          2 cups of cherry tomatoes
                                          1 cup of olives
                                          1 chopped onion
                                          1 cup of chicken broth
                                          2 cups of bread crumbs
                                          1 cup of mozzarella cheese

I baked it at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes.  So really it is dinner in less than 30 minutes.  You can serve rice or potato with this but just bread with it is good too.  Of course you can change up the ingredients; sometimes I add carrots or peas and omit the olives.  It's just that we love olives so I tried to work them in.  Feta cheese would work well with this too.  I guess really whatever you have on hand and feel like adding.

1 comment :

Robin said...

Your header is so delightful. I've never had a fish casserole like this. It sounds intriguing.