Tuesday 11 November 2014

Princess Anne and Remembrance Day


Today is Remembrance Day in Canada, a day where we officially mark the sacrifice of all the Canadians who served in all the wars.  It was a day I didn't like much growing up.  Though we always had a school holiday, it was a somber and sad day.  My mother lost her father in the Second World War so for her it really was a day of mourning; to us kids it was even more somber than Sundays would be.  The only programming on t.v. would have to do with wars and the coverage of all the Remembrance Day ceremonies taking place across the country...very dull events for kids.
Princess Anne is here in Ottawa today where she took part this morning in the ceremony at the National Cenotaph. You just know from her bearing and look that she is not a jokey sort, very matter-of-fact and probably doesn't suffer fools gladly.  I like her ever since I read she is the hardest working member of the royal family; I also like how she did not bestow prince or princess on her children.
This morning when I took Grandson to school he was glad to tell me they would be having a special assembly for Remembrance Day today.  I asked why was that and he said, well assemblies usually take 25 minutes which is a whole period of no work!
Yes,  10 year old boys...

I've included a link to view the amazing display of poppies around the Tower of London, England.  It marks the 100th anniversary of the First World War.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-30004315



No comments :