Thursday 23 October 2014

Where My Treasure Lies

Where your treasure lies, there does your heart lie also.
                                                 The Bible

This is one part of a quote from the Bible and I think the intention is actually a bit of a warning.  It is telling people to be very careful of what you treasure and in the expanded version it explains how material things will all come to naught in the end. Therefore your treasure should be values, morals and belief in God for that is the way to a fulfilled life and especially eternal life.
Lots of sayings mean the same thing regarding the material things of life...
you can't take it with you,
 you don't see a hearse pulling a u-haul,
there are no pockets in the shroud, and so on.

But I like this saying bare boned without the mention of moths or rust or destruction.  It makes me think about what is my treasure...Hubby, my children, grandchildren, my family all need no mention in such a list; they are givens. So what else...
 my eyesight and fingers so I can still read and stitch,
 my appetite for good food,
 the companionship of  dogs,
 the enjoyment I'm finding in all nature...
These are the things that consume me these days, that I give my hours and days to so they must be my treasure.   And  I would  hope to goodness that at my age I know where my treasure lies.
Where does your treasure lie?

and just for a little smile

"I love money.  I love everything about it.  I bought some pretty good stuff. Got me a $300 pair of socks.  Got a fur sink.  An electric dog polisher. A gasoline powered turtleneck sweater.  And, of course, I bought some dumb stuff too."
                                                              Steve Martin

No comments :